What is advantage of 64bit browser.

Reaction score
New to the windows 7 world not seeing any advantage to running in the 64 biit world. Thinking of reinstalling in 32 bit mode. Tell me why i want to stay 64.

Reaction score
Hi Mike12352 - Welcome to w7forums

If the browser is the only issue you have, why not use the 32-Bit browser? The 64-Bit version of windows comes with both 32-Bit and 64-Bit browsers. Unless you have a ultra fast Internet connection, I'm not sure you will see much difference between them anyway. The biggest difference will be with 64-Bit applications when they start to role out.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Mike12352

To be honest nearly everyone with a 64 bit OS is using a 32 bit browser. Okay?

All hardware is now 64 bit so far as CPU and motherboards, it is the system of choice now. Windows 7 will more than likely be the last M$ OS to use 32 bit software.

More and more 64 bit software is being written everyday. You'll be able to use more than 3.2GB of RAM too.

You may not notice much difference at first but believe me it's happening.

I just downloaded and installed the new Raxco PerfrectDisk v11 Disk Defragmenter application and it is LIGHT SPEED fast! Time from clicking the icon to the program window on the desktop is about 1/2 second!! Very Fast!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Mike12352, welcome to the forum! Initially, I felt the same way as you, in fact I didn't realize that I was getting a 64 bit desktop until I was reviewing my receipt. But I'm glad I got it. With 64 bit, you can run more programs at the same time than ever, without your computer not slowing at all. You can do this with as little a 2GB RAM, but 4GB is considered the "sweet spot", and it's hard to slow mine down. For the time being, you're still running 32 bit programs for the most part, but that's changing. Not a sudden change, but software writers are beginning to see that 64 bit is no longer the future, but the present. Do you know what brought about the change towards 64 bit computers? Windows 7 did. How many desktops and laptops do you see in the stores that are 32 bit anymore? I'm not counting those 10 inch screen "netbooks" with no DVD player, I'm talking about the main ones. I've not seen one on the store shelves since Windows 7 was released. As time goes by, you'll be glad you have a 64 bit computer, because as the 32 bit ones are breaking, some parts will be hard to find, especially processors, a lot of the 32 bit computers runs single core processors. They are being discontinued. There may be "refurbished" junk to replace them with, but it's a waste of money to buy them. And it is also said that 64 bit systems are more secure than it's lower counterparts. But the browsers, you can run 32 bit ones with no issues, I've had no bit related issues at all. Right now, there's certain features that's not in 64 bit IE, such as a flash player. The 32 bit one is fine until the 64 bit one comes along. But you won't be disappointed with your purchase, I'm certain of that.

Reaction score
Greater memory amounts used by the system, quite possibly the #1 reason.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Greater memory amounts used by the system, quite possibly the #1 reason.
It's possible to use more RAM, if you have enough open programs running, but for the most part, since I've upgraded my desktop from 2GB to 4GB, the RAM usage increase is minimal. Video clips loading faster is the main thing that I've noticed faster, which was what I wanted anyway. Browser performance is also noticeably better with 64 bit. But the 64 bit browser will improve as time goes by, as Nibiru said, there's more and more programs being developed for it. As soon as there's full software support for it, I'm switching to a 64 bit browser myself, regardless of who makes it. The problem is, no flash or PDF reader for 64 bit browsers. If a corporation other than Adobe can produce these products before they do, I say dump Adobe in favor of whomever it is. They are holding up progress, and basically holding the 64 bit Windows browser hostage. If they can produce for Linux, they can for Windows.

Ask a Question