W7 not installing on RAID0

Reaction score
Veedaz,

I click on the link and there are a list of Gigabyte utilities including the SATA RAID downloadables for this version of MB.

I have downloaded these and opened where possible. The majority refer either: the jmicron chip which I believe according to motherboard manual is the eSATA controller for the ports on the back of the MB or the Marvell chip which controls the SATA on that chip which controls two separate ports on the MB providing up to 6GB/s if required. The other utilities under this heading don't appear to have 32bit W7 drivers for the P55 chip for RAID. I have also been to the Intel site and tried their drivers but they are just as vague as to which controller they actually control.

Rikki27

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The main SATA controller is the Intel ICH10R Southbridge chipset. It controls the 6 main SATA ports, the Gigabyte controller (actually a JMicron JMB controller)

Intel SATA RAID Driver is what you want, when you unzip it you'll see the "Floppy Drivers" which you use for the preinstall. They go on a thumb drive or floppy disc

Reaction score
Nibiru2012,

Would appreciate it if you could provide the link and version number of the suggested best driver file. I have tried loading drivers "Intel SATA RAID Driver from floppy and root directory of USB stick. Used the link for Gigabyte site provided by Veedaz that appears above and have also used Intel site previously. If you can advise on exact driver then I can be reasonably sure that I am trying to load the right one. I note too that one of the files labelled Intel SATA RAID downloads a file "iata_cd" which when opened appears to provide installation program for raid storage installation software however it would appear that this is specifically for a post OS install process.

thanks for your time thus far

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I have sent them as an attachment. It's a RAR file, so decompress it and then choose the 32 bit or 64 bit drivers you need. Open the folder and copy all the files to your thumb drive.

They're the Intel Rapid Storage Technology v9.6.0.1014 Drivers.

P.S.
I am off to work now.

Attachments

Reaction score
Nibiru2012 & Veedaz,

I have set up the driver files as instructed and tried to reinstalled without success. The install is still telling me that there are no other devices recognised please reinsert disc media with the appropriate drivers on it etc. Very frustrating.
I had tried these exact drivers previously as well as others that appeared to be compatible according to Intel / Gigabyte web site searches.

On a more optimistic note: I was beginning to think that there may be something wrong with my assembly of the new MB etc or something wrong with the MB or other new components. On the off chance I thought I would install a Raptor drive I had previously installed in this case on a P4 chip with a Asus P5GD1 MB. The P5GD1 board had finally chucked it in which is one of the reasons I was rebuilding. Any way so I hook the Raptor up and fired up the PC and low and behold the Vista Home Prem OS I had on the Raptor is alive and well. Strangely the OS in the troublesome build is chugging away at the floppy in the background as I type uploading the chipset drivers I expect.

If I decide to remain with the Vista install in the short term I will have to reinstal drivers and connect to my network but at least everything appears to work.

I may try to install the W7 OS on this disk at some stage just to see if it will install. The raptor is only one of the early 37Gb ones so it is a bit tight with programs loaded which is why I had hoped for the RAID0 set to work.

I am tending to think that there is something about the Samsung HJ161 drives that I have in the RAID0 set that is not compatible with the new MB / drivers even though it appears in the BIOS and can be configured for RAID0. I'll probably never know unless someone can put forward a successful suggestion.

Of interest too, I inserted one of the Samsung drives into my XPpro machine [GA-P45-DS3R board and it recognised the RAID set and wanted me to rebuild the RAID pair. Not sure what is going on in this instance if they appear on this machine.

Anyway thanks very much for your help. I am more than happy to continue to try potential solutions.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Similar issue? Two ideas to check out/try.

The poster mentions it wouldn't read from the install DVD because he had all SATA ports setup to RAID in BIOS and then it wouldn't read the CD/DVD drive. So is your DVD drive SATA and is it properly set up in your BIOS so it can be read?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/55067-windows-7-raid-install-issue-2.html

If that isn't your problem then it talks about you putting your drivers on a usb flash drive, and not in a folder, just sitting on the root so they can be found when it goes to look for them.

Some other articles seem to think this is a known issue with 7 & Raid 0.
http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/18499-intel-raid-ich5-82801er-sata-controller.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
DVD drive is IDE. Have had drivers on root drive of USB stick, floppy and have used same on external usb floppy drive as well as internal floppy drive.

I had thought at one stage that I could build an image of the install disk with drivers inserted to boot from using Windows PE. Well out of my league though. It appears that one needs a W7 computer up and running to set all this up on. Pitty that someone doesn't have an iso file already on the web for download. Guess then everyone would be downloading W7 for free!

Again happy to trial further suggestions.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't understand - do you have a copy of Windows 7 or not? You can download the W7 ISOs from Microsoft but what good would it do you? You either need it on a DVD of flashdrive that you can read or on a harddrive you can see. You apparently have neither.

I thought you had a virtual copy, so burn it to a DVD and install from your ide DVD drive if you can see it, just set your dvd drive up in bios as your first boot device. Or if your flashdrive is big enough use that. You may need the ISO tool ...
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...d-disc-or-usb-flashhard-drive-from-iso-image/

If you don't have a licensed product key to go with it then we definitely won't help you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
W7 not installing on RAID 0

All the software I use has licensed product keys which was stated in previous posts under this topic.

I have appear to have managed to set up a Vista home premium OS due to it having been on a single alternate drive that I have swapped with the RAID0 set I had been trying to install W7 onto.

I appear to have managed to load the Intel(r) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/5series/3400series SATA RAID driver for the SATA RAID Controller Intel(r) ICH8R/ICH9R SATA RAID CONTROLLER that is listed in the device manager. But not during install, from the Vista OS.

Having problems now with the network adaptor not being installed (Realtek RTL8168/RTL8111 PCI GE NIC(NDIS 6.0) and also the DVD drive not functioning correctly. Drivers are reported as being installed and the best version. Probably due to the fact that this OS wasn't originally installed using this MB - don't know.

The RAID 0 set that I have been trying to install the W7 OS onto appears to be alive and well and recognised by the Vista OS. If it is possible to install W7 onto that RAID0 from within a semifunctioning Vista OS then I'd like to hear about it.

any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Hi All,

Finally had some success. Was advised on another forum [Experts Exchange] to download the install disk files onto a prepared USB stick with the boot manager files intalled.

When I booted from the USB drive I was able to install W7 although the RAID drivers still didn't want to install, had to configure it as ACHI.

thanks again

Rikki27

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
burn it to a DVD and install from your ide DVD drive if you can see it, just set your dvd drive up in bios as your first boot device. Or if your flashdrive is big enough use that.
As I said, it needed to be booting to the installation DVD or flashdrive.

And once you got that far Nibs said you wouldn't "see" the raid drive untill you install those drivers.

But it's all good, you're up and running.

Last edited:
Reaction score
TrainableMan,

Yes I agree, I overlooked the solution provided.

Not entirely up to speed as it is all a steep learning curve. I'm in the category of experience of knowing just enough [or too little] to get myself deeper into trouble.

One issue that remains is that my DVD drive still doesn't appear to operate correctly. eg the mother board disc and other device discs will not autoload/run. I flashed the internal software for the LG drive with a W7 version but that doesn't seem to solve the problem. Any ideas on what could be the problem? Maybe need a new drive?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You want to enable Autoplay?
Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, AutoPlay

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
One issue that remains is that my DVD drive still doesn't appear to operate correctly. eg the mother board disc and other device discs will not autoload/run
Sometimes that can be a good thing. However, everyone likes to configure Windows to their own tastes for sure. I disable Autoplay on all DVD movie and CD audio discs.

All my software applications, drivers, etc., are stored on an external hard drive because my room was starting to look like a used CD store at the local flea market!

Ask a Question