W7 Clean Install -

Reaction score
So far I have been plesantly surprised. I installed a small 40G HD and loaded W7 Ultimate. I have attached my old 100GB 7200 disk via USB cable and have gotten the base OS configured.

The Sound Drivers and Video were a challenge on the D810 but everything is working find.

The surprise is that I was able to move over a couple of application directories from the old disk to the new disk and the installed software works fine.

First, let me tell you that I do not install my software to the standard default directory. I ALWAYS create a new APPS directory off of the root directory and do custom installs from there.

Now I have not tried that with MS office. I think I will just do a clean install there, but it looks like I have been able to just drag an entire application directory over and it work.

I am wondering if W7 knows how to figure out all of the registry gobbly-gook in XP Pro or even if it was neccessary.

One of the applications asked me to re-enter my registration codes, but no problem.

I am pleased with the new speed which seems to be work the time getting legacy drivers to work.

I do have a problem recognizing the SCSI card in my docking station but not a problem.

I hate to go through all of this to have to do it again because I will want to put my 100G 7200rpm disk back in the machine.

Does any one know of a good ghosting program that will work with W7? I would be willing to try making an image file of this setup and lay it down on the boot partition on my old drive.

:cool:Eunix:)

Reaction score
Hi eUNIX

Partition Wizard, you can copy disk or partition (works very well with Windows 7) > [URL]http://www.partitionwizard.com/[/URL]
By "copy disk or copy partition", does that mean you could completely copy for example your C drive to your D drive, ( OS, drivers, files, everything) such that if something happened to your C drive, you could literally switch over to D and keep operating?

And how does that work and stay legal with EULA? Just been wondering, because if you buy an HP computer, it has a recovery copy on a separate partition, but when you buy the W7 software and install it yourself, there is no recovery partition.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks all. This is not a new computer that comes with the recovery partition. It is a new install on an old Dell D810.

Since this was a heavily used machine over the years, I had quite a bit of stuff installed that I wanted to keep. I have a more up to date TB61 and HP Elitebook and Sun Ulatra20 M2 that do my daily heavy lifting now but I still use this D810 for a lot of stuff.

What I did was take out my 100G drive and put in an older 40G for the W7 install. What I want to do with the copy is to image the 40G once I have "lifted" my applications from the 100G and make sure they work and put it back on the 100G boot partition.

This way if the transfer fails or is unacceptable, I can put my 100G back in and keep running on XP pro.

In regards to staying leagal with EULA, I will have to ready the W7 EULA to see what the particulars are, but off the top of my head, I don't think that it would because you can't run both at the same time on the same machine. I don't see why you would waste the disk space with a double install like that when you can just create a bootable backup or ghost image on a DVD and keep it in your back for recovery.

My recommendation to everyone would be to buy antivirus/internet security and a software to image your disk. Most PC's are not shipped with media these days unless you buy it in your package and personally, I would want to have the OS load shipped with my PC versus a pre-install image.

Reaction score
Ok. I am almost finished with my trial. I took some time to study my disk utilizaton on the 100G XP drive and now that I am comfortable with W7 running on my D810 machine, I am going to move the data of and partition the drive differently.

I am going to do a clean install on the new drive and repeat the migration of my apps back to the faster/larger drive.

It really was not that much work and it gave me an opportunity to really go through all of those folders and removed applications to determine a lot of the stuff that I did not need. Especially all of the JAVA upgrades over the years! :)

eUNIX

Reaction score
Saying Goodbye!

Ok. I have put my old disk back in and it is going to be difficult saying goodbye to an old friend.

I am going to load Norton Ghost 10 (since I already have it) and make an image disk of the machine in the event that I want to recover it.

Now what I would really like to do is to create an ISO image on DVD so that I can boot it into a virtual machine somewhere but that will take some cyphering (as Jethro Bodine would say! ) :)

eUNIX

Ask a Question