SOLVED Viewing Bitrates in a Window

Reaction score
In a folder window, that has music files.

You know how you can choose to see details of files in a folder? Well I was wondering if you could see their bitrates in the folder without having to right click each MP3 file to see their properties.

I imagine it's something like "Content" (which is one of the folder view options) since that displays the files' sizes and their length times, but not bitrate...and I was wondering if there's a way I can see bitrates inside a folder window.

Thanks.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
In the details view, there is a bit rate (MS's spelling) column view option.

You can also change tooltip info for individual file types under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations

e.g To add bitrate to mp3 tooltip

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.mp3
To the Info Tip string value, add
System.Audio.EncodingBitrate;

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok so, if it's not in the details view on my computer (which it's not) you recommend going into the registry to add it?

And sorry for asking but how do I add that? I double-clicked the Info Tip in the location you specified in the registry (the one ending with "SystemFileAssociations\.mp3") but only found the option to modify something. Not sure on how to add something.

And would I need to include the semicolon you have after "EncodingBitrate" or do I exclude it?

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
And sorry for asking but how do I add that? I double-clicked the Info Tip in the location you specified in the registry (the one ending with "SystemFileAssociations\.mp3") but only found the option to modify something. Not sure on how to add something.

And would I need to include the semicolon you have after "EncodingBitrate" or do I exclude it?
If you right click on the Info Tip reg value, select Modify. By adding something you are changing or modifying it.
Wasn't very clear but the semi-colon is used to separate each part so if you added System.Audio.EncodingBitrate to the end you'd need the semi-colon before. I replaced the System.Filetype entry at the beginning so the semi-colon would go at the end. :confused: This is mine saved as a reg file:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.mp3]
"InfoTip"="prop:System.Audio.EncodingBitrate;System.Size;System.Music.Artist;System.Media.Duration"

Last edited:
Reaction score
....ok well i didn't need to go into regedit ior anything. just needed to select bitrate as one of the details in the grouping / sorting options...

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Glad you got it sorted. Just a bit of trivia. The single I highlighted the Bitrate on in above image was/is the theme tune to the BBC's arts program, Arena.

Ask a Question