SOLVED Usb printing in Win7

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You said you were doing a full install. That is not the same as a repair.

W7 w/o SP1 >>HERE<<

Frankly, if your computer is so messed up that it didn't let the SP1 install when it came out months ago then you should be doing a fresh install with the SP1 disk because there is no telling what all is screwed up.

A repair doesn't do much to fix the registry (not sure it does anything to it); mainly it repairs windows system files.

Reaction score
You said you were doing a full install. That is not the same as a repair.

W7 w/o SP1 >>HERE<<

Frankly, if your computer is so messed up that it didn't let the SP1 install when it came out months ago then you should be doing a fresh install with the SP1 disk because there is no telling what all is screwed up.

A repair doesn't do much to fix the registry (not sure it does anything to it); mainly it repairs windows system files.
OK. I'll take your advice and try a clean install with sp1. Do you know if the product key supplied with preinstalled PC are full retail or oem. I'm worried it might not let me validate.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Preinstalled are OEM versions specialized for that manufacturer (dell adds it's own stuff, HP there own, etc) but that key is valid for reinstalling the standard downloaded version onto that same motherboard; it just won't have all the extra junk that comes preinstalled such as trial versions of antivirus, microsoft office, etc ... 95% of junk you don't want anyway.

Reaction score
Preinstalled are OEM versions specialized for that manufacturer (dell adds it's own stuff, HP there own, etc) but that key is valid for reinstalling the standard downloaded version onto that same motherboard; it just won't have all the extra junk that comes preinstalled such as trial versions of antivirus, microsoft office, etc ... 95% of junk you don't want anyway.
Thanks so much. I actually tried the repair install with the new link you gave me and it worked great. The printer installed without a hitch. Scan functions work. I am going to try to install the over 100 updates now. I have heard that they may not take unless I do 1 or 2 at a time. Is this true? If so, I may be spending days trying to get all the updates through.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
My experience the .NET stuff is the pickiest so you may need to do those in separate steps, other than that I would probably do chunks of 5 or 10. If SP1 never installed then you should try to get everything that goes before it, first, then SP1 by itself; then start working on ones after that.

Reaction score
My experience the .NET stuff is the pickiest so you may need to do those in separate steps, other than that I would probably do chunks of 5 or 10. If SP1 never installed then you should try to get everything that goes before it, first, then SP1 by itself; then start working on ones after that.
I got most of the important updates done including service pack 1. I can't thank you enough for your help. I must have had some seriously currupt files.

I will mark this thread as solved. Thanks again

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well if a repair fixed it then it was likely just some system files. I was more concerned that your registry might be really screwed up but apparently that is OK.

Glad you got it worked out.

Ask a Question