SOLVED Unknown device - missing driver?

Reaction score
I actually do not know what a SM Bus Controller. I see how it has something to do with drivers. I keep hearing something about an extra chip. Im really lost. For 3 months now, I have seen this "!" under the Other Devices and I believe my computer is not running at its fullest. Can anyone please help me! I also went to Intel.com I used the utlity and the "chipset" was the only one which had no information on it when it scanned my computer. I assume its missing. Can anyone please please!!! help me D:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I moved your post into a thread of its own because the original thread was from 2009.

I actually do not know what a SM Bus Controller. I see how it has something to do with drivers. I keep hearing something about an extra chip. Im really lost. For 3 months now, I have seen this "!" under the Other Devices and I believe my computer is not running at its fullest. Can anyone please help me! I also went to Intel.com I used the utlity and the "chipset" was the only one which had no information on it when it scanned my computer. I assume its missing. Can anyone please please!!! help me D:
You may be missing proper chipset drivers, although it can be some other hardware as well.

You can grab the chipset driver for your motherboard by
1) going to this page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LK/#support_Download_30
2) Clicking on "Chipset"
3) Clicking on the "Global" link under the third driver ("Chipset Driver"). Its size is 200+ MB.
4) Uncompress the downloaded file and run the setup utility to install it. You'll be asked to reboot. Do so.

That page has drivers for other components of your motherboard as well.

Reaction score
A Hero Has Come

I moved your post into a thread of its own because the original thread was from 2009.

You may be missing proper chipset drivers, although it can be some other hardware as well.

You can grab the chipset driver for your motherboard by
1) going to this page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LK/#support_Download_30
2) Clicking on "Chipset"
3) Clicking on the "Global" link under the third driver ("Chipset Driver"). Its size is 200+ MB.
4) Uncompress the downloaded file and run the setup utility to install it. You'll be asked to reboot. Do so.

That page has drivers for other components of your motherboard as well.
Okay. Uhm. Serously. Thank you! My gosh...... I've went to Youtube. No information. I went to 5 other sites. No one knows about this. Thank youuuu Soooo MUUCH!@! I just installed the last one. I restarted it and it said that the asus setup lost. then i waited and a intel chipset installer came up and I was like, YAY! After another restart, I checked my Device manager. And the "SM Bus Controller" is not there anymore! Thank you! But may I ask you a question. Since you know my mother board and im running a intel core i5 3570k Stock at 3.4 turbo at 3.8 ghz. Will my computer be a little better? Since I did not have any motherboard drivers? at least like gaming wise because of this?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Generally yes, because chipset drivers help the system interact with various parts of your motherboard, its integrated components. This includes everything from integrated graphics (which you don't use since you have the nVidia card) and memory to various bus types. Also, if you have media card readers in your computer which did not work before, they should now. All in all, you may not get a noticeable increase in performance, but system stability in general is improved by proper drivers, whether immediately noticeable or not.

Glad you got the problem sorted!

Ask a Question