Uniblue

Reaction score
OK, I'm still floundering around trying to sort crap out in this confusing morass of computing. I have tons o' stuff I'm sure I don't need, but can't do much about getting help with it until after I'm out of this dump after the 1st. I picked up UB's Power Suite and it seems to work well at unbogging my system, but I've been warned away by some users. I tried Googling for info and it's contradictory.

I run CCleaner, Spybot and Malaware, all free and I have Kapersky AV. Advice on Uniblue? Is there anything else I should be using? What's good for makin' this OS peppier?

And I'm still pretty much a dummy at all this.

Capt.Jack Sparrow

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Reaction score
Hmmm....

I've never noticed a problem with conflicts. Gads I wish I knew my way around this world!

Checked your link and it says it applies to all editions of Vista. I;m running Win 7.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I tried your second link and ended up downloading SpeedMaxPC from there, but was prompted for payment after a scan and I understand those ploys are not to be trusted.

I get the feeling you're telling me one thing and I'm doing another.

Capt.Jack Sparrow

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Nope. Those are ads. The second link explains you how MSCONFIG works so you could optimize your Startup. Don't download any software most of them are just scarewares.

Reaction score
Alright, then. I've uninstalled Uniblue and the other one. I'm back on my laptop for awhile, but when I get set back up, I'm going to call in a pro to get this and my desktop set up along with a printer wireless. When I'm comfortable again plunking on these things, I'll start training and relearning. I'd like to be able to handle videos and voice eventually. I'm still trying to write along with some layout functions and eventually, I'd like to be able to map. Still a long way off for the dummy, but my move is in about a week and I can get going after that.

Anyway, these are the programs I currently have on this brick:

Absolute Notifier
Adobe Flas Player 10 Active X 64-bit
Adobe Flash Player 10 plug-in
Adobe Reader 9.4.5
Belkin Setup and Router Monitor
Bluetooth Stack for Windows by Toshiba
Brother BR Admin Light 1.12
CCleaner
Dragon Magazine Archive
Google Chrome
ie Spell
Internet TV for Windows Media Center
Kapersky Internet Securuity 2011
Malawarebytes' Aniti-Malware version 1.51.1.1800
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile
Microsoft Office File Validation Add-In
MS Office Home and Student 2007
MS Silverlight
MS SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition [ENU]
Mozilla Firefox 6.0 (x86 en-US)
NVIDIA Drivers
Skype Toolbars
Skype 4.2
Spell Check Anywhere
TeanViewer 6
Windows Live Essentials 2011
Windows Live Mesh ctiveX Control for Remote Control
Windows Media Center Add-in for Flash
Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin
Yankee Clipper III

What should I uninstall? Btw, I used Open Office for awhile and I have Libre Office on my HP, but I seem to keep going back to Word. I know that Sun (Oracle) has an alternative to Adobe that's not such a hog.

I use gmail almost exclusively. I have a recocery account at GMX and I have one Live account I don't use. I'm typing this in Chrome but Firefox has been my browswe of choice. I use IE for one site.

If I don't get winnowed down from my pro, I'll be back to post all the junk I have on my behemoth.

Reaction score
Stay away from anything Uniblue make's It will most definitely trash your pc. I tried it back on my old Vista pc and after using Uniblue's crap software I had to do a clean install and wait forever for a refund from them.

Reaction score
I unmarked this so I can maybe get some feedback on the rest of the fluff on this brick. Btw, I neglected to mention that I'm also trying to maintain a website using Word Press and I also have some other domains.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Mr. Magoo, Through the start search (spit,yeeuk!) or a run window, type msconfig, clean out the unnecessary progs that start with your pc.

As a number 1, get rid of skype toolbars . not required.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In the msconfig under "General," it's set to "Load System Services." In the "Startup" tab only Kaperskey and Malwarebytes are checked. In the "Services" tab, there are a bunch of apps listed, some running some stopped.

All my reference books are now packed away, so I don't know how to conveniently display that list.

Dumped the Skype toolbar.

Ask a Question