Uncle Sam wants YOU to test your broadband connection!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Big Brother is always there, they have access to every bit of transmission so adding something extra to the router for THAT isn't even needed.

--Just cuz I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.

Reaction score
@Thrax: The actual speed at which the wireless connection operates depends on the distance from the router or signal source. For example, the wireless signal (it's wireless G for me) sucks in my computer area, so my laptop registers the speed of the connection between 1 Mbps and 11 Mbps, on a 30Mbps Internet connection. So in theory your wireless could be affecting your Internet speeds.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So in theory your wireless could be affecting your Internet speeds.
I'm saying it's not in theory, it's a guarantee, and Thrax disputes this.

I say a wireless routed signal would affect the speed over a directly wired modem to computer and that is why it really should be eliminated for a true test. I used the word "impossible" it could be as fast because of the extra router overhead for security and to ensure it gets sent to the correct requesting computer (routed).

I don't believe Thrax was saying it couldn't slow it down but he was saying it could be AS fast and with wireless N it could be up to 1.5 times faster. I don't understand how this could be possible. Some form of compression technology on relevant data maybe, but it would have to work so well that the total bits transmitted would end up being less than streamed by wire uncompressed. I'm still waiting for the white-paper and supporting articles.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
For example, the wireless signal (it's wireless G for me) sucks in my computer area, so my laptop registers the speed of the connection between 1 Mbps and 11 Mbps, on a 30Mbps Internet connection.
That may be due to channel crosstalk, where the channel the wireless is broadcasting on is being interfered with from other channels on the same frequency in the vicinity of the wireless router.

Try changing the channel on the router and see if it improves.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Any proper wireless connection, g, g+, n isn't going to limit bandwidth tests.

When I had wireless g+ (108 mbps, WPA2 w/ AES also) on my downstairs machine, it would routinely transfer files between it and my wired machine at over 11 MB/sec.

11x8 is 88 mbps, which is almost the entire 100 mbps theoretically possible.

I have OptimiumOnline service and it's extremely fast at 20 mbps download. Not many people have faster, although they do offer a 101 mbps service believe it or not.

The 20 mbps is nowhere near my example of 11 MB/sec transfers. So, it can be said that wireless doesn't affect speed tests,

I have to agree with Thrax on this one. (I could actually stream uncompressed Blu-Ray over wireless without issue.)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've always had wireless, and as long as you have a modern router & adapter, you'll have no problems. Plus you'll have less wires to gather dust, and no partition has to be setup by your broadband provider, saving you disc space. I never knew that they actually partition your drive until I seen my mother-in-law's desktop, there was an AT&T partition on the drive.

And when my neighbor used to allow me to use her connection, I only had a two bar signal, yet downloaded 700MB Linux discs in about 20 to 25 minutes. She had Earthlink and a "N" router. It would fly.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
and no partition has to be setup by your broadband provider, saving you disc space. I never knew that they actually partition your drive until I seen my mother-in-law's desktop, there was an AT&T partition on the drive
You can name your partitions any 11 char name you want. I suppose if at&t actually came to the house to set up her computer they could have set up some backup space or a place for downloads or something but it's not a normal thing, Cat.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have never heard of an "AT&T partition" ever. When I had AT&T I did my own setup and configured it myself with the kit they sent me via mail.

She must have had it done when they came out to install the service. But it is definitely not the norm that's for sure.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't know how a wired setup works, because I've always had wireless (probably because until recently, all that I've ever had were notebooks). And intend to keep it that way, because through those "N" based routers and adapters, you're more secure than ever. Wireless is more popular than ever, and many desktop users are converting by the day, and many of the newer desktops includes wireless as stock equipment, mine did.

It also makes your system more portable, being tied down by a modem and wiring limits moving your system to another room. I can completely move mine in less than 5 minutes. I would never want to be tied down like this, I prefer portability over a fixed installation anyday.

Cat

Reaction score
HI!!!!

It is a good information about internet speed test!!!!
I test my internet speed, through this site http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/
My speed test results are,
upload speed:0.52 kbps
download speed:1.96 kbps
I check my speed test before and after of the downloading process!!!!!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
veni, this is a very old post and applies to residents in the USA not India.

If you happen to have a good idea to help solve a post that is still unresolved or to contribute information to a current post (no more than 30-60 days since the last posting) then by all means contribute. But posting the same website to multiple threads, even if they are free, will end up getting you banned as a spammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question