Tiny little freezes, juddering?

Reaction score
Asus CG5270 model;
8 gigs of ram
Intel Core 2 Quad, Q8300@ 2.5ghz.
n9400 video card running 8.17.12.5896 drivers. (low power card, no extra power to it)
Win 7 home premium x64 (windows update says Im good for patches and so on)

No RAIDs, no interesting shenanigans, no overclocking, no custom hardware.

it freezes. tiny little freezes, like... a second or two long to start, building to 3 or 4 second long freezes. as its starting to do this, you can hear the CPU fan idle _down_ and running CPU and network monitor widgets shows that the CPU load basically stops and the network activity drops. eventually it'll go for a long freeze, like 10 seconds or so, and then it'll be fine again for another hour. the whole miserable cycle lasts for maybe 40 seconds.

there's no heavy hard drive activity. usually I'm playing a game or watching a movie. back when it was just movies, I assumed it was some sort of codec issue, which I _thought_ Id resolved, but Im still getting these annoying little freezey sessions in games.

Ive tried the things I know how to: Ive updated drivers, Ive gone looking for conflicts, defragged relevant drives, ran malware and viruscheckers to no avail, and booted the system up into a no-BS, no extraneous processes, applications, or services mode and it still happens. Edit to add; dicking with Core assignments doesnt seem to affect it either.

also also; its a selective freeze. animations still play out on screen; god rays are still shining, water animations keep pretending to be water, but it wont take any new input and anything complex (a moving actor, a changing shadow) will be frozen. So Im farily sure its not the graphics _directly_. sound is likewise not an issue, no stuhstuhstuhstuttering of sound in games (although it stuttered right along with movies)

halp?

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you maintain a large hosts file? If so how big is it/how many entries?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Then that isn't your issue. If the file gets very large, like 10s of thousands of entries it can cause periodic freezes every time the DNS entries are updated.

Next thoughts ...
I wonder if it could be your power settings? Since it is a desktop there is no need for battery conservation. Go to Control Panel \ Power settings and set it to "High Performance".

Also, since you mention the fan speed etc, I would suggest you check the ASUS website and make sure you have the latest BIOS and drivers installed.

Reaction score
Power settings are on High-dont-turn-anything-off, Bios and whatnot is all up to date according to ASUS website. I dont have any screensavers or background programs like Seti@home or anything, and I cant see anything in processes or services thats memory leaking or similar.

Im baffled :/

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What Anti-virus are you running?

How long have you had the hardware? Is it new? It could be voltage, memory problems.

You might download process explorer and run it off to the side while you are running other things, then you can watch for CPU spikes at the time of the freezes.

Reaction score
Yep, definitely answer TM's questions here. Anything Norton/AVG/Panda etc...should be removed in safe mode with this tool:

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

Then reboot to normal mode and install MSE.

And definitely install this latest ATK0110 driver in my attachment, which ASUS machines are notorious for having older 2005 versions which is a known issue.

Also, Load the Optimized Defaults in the bios and save.

Attachments

Reaction score
@ TorrentG;

OK, Antivirus was AVG, which is now stripped off, and installed MSE (which I really hope you meant Microsoft Security Essentials, and not something else)

Installed the ATK driver (I think. It flashed up a CMD box and then zip, which I'm assuming means its installed)

switched out the BIOS settings to 'default' : which Im fairly sure it was on already. I don't see an option for 'optimised default' unless I'm missing it in some menu tree.

@ Trainableman;

Hardware is newish. maybe a year old, if that? its all gear that came with the box apart from the graphics card and hard drives.

I'll give process explorer a shot, but monitoring CPU usage with task manager and desktop widgets has so far shown no peaks, just crashing to zero CPU usage for the freezes.

I really appreciate the help; I'm normally the person giving out advice. not being able to figure this out is driving me nutty :/

Reaction score
So how is it going now. Sounds like you did real well since I've last posted. :)

Hopefully results will match.

Reaction score
Sadly not doing real well at all. followed the above steps to no avail, even went as far as re-imaging the machine. small freezes are now evident outside of applications, usually whilst accessing the file system menus, like if I want to choose where to save something to and hit the drop down or [...] button, applications will hang for a few seconds and may even pop 'not responding' in their title bars, and then miraculously unstick like there was never an issue.

post-reimage the only thing thats really changed is nVidia drivers going to 8.17.12.6099

or situations like now, where I ask it to pop an IE window (usually use chrome, but some sites just barf and insist on IE for their ActiveX drivers whatsits) but yeah. I ask it to pop a new window, and nothing. I can still move things around on the screen without video corruption, windows trails. I can close windows, and programs, and they close. and then 5 seconds later, I get a full system freeze for a second, CPU usage hits zero, and then bam, IE pops open, and everything is running along just fine again.

any other ideas? Feel free to toss me some "are you sure its plugged in" kind of stuff, too. maybe I missed something really stupid. :/

[Edit to add : sorry for the long time responding. work, other stuff. :/]

Last edited:
Reaction score
You could download and run CPU-Z. Then post a screen shot of the spd tab and memory tab.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just FYI, if you hit the Post Reply button it has extra options including an attachments paperclip so you can send future pictures right to the forum and avoid the extra step of creating a photo bucket.

Reaction score
so, situation gradually getting worse.

freezes are long, sometime requiring CTRL-ALT-DEL taskmanager intervention occasionally terminating hung applications at the process level.

freezes are still weird; one or two apps effected, stuff already in memory works fine for a while then also freezes. entire system grinds to a halt and then picks up again, no problems.

ran this by techie friends and got the following answers;;

1. bad ram
2. passive-powered Video card drawing too much power and PSU stalling the mobo
3. some sort of root problem involving core affinities not working properly.

Im dumbfounded, guys. IDK how to comprehensively test for the first one (and Im reading a lot of articles where people are reporting freezes on my system, fixes by removing and replacing ram which has passed MEMtest) The second doesnt sound technically feasible for only some of the function to continue and the third is just way way above my technical understanding.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
For the memory testing go to MemTest '86 and run it for at least 2 to 3 hours. http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Download the version you wish to install and use. Most use the bootable CD ISO version. Download it and burn it to a CD-RW disc with ImgBurn, a free ISO burning application. www.imgburn.com

How big is your power supply; that is how many total watts? Passive powered meaning it's drawing the power from the motherboard instead of using an additional PCI-E power plug-in.

Number 3 is to me.. WTH? Root problem involving core affinities not working properly? Who in the hell came up with that explanation? Sounds like something a Washington D.C. bureaucrat would come up with or congressional type.

Well, when all else fails, just do a clean install. Although some will disagree with me on that.

Give us some information about the power supply capacity, video card and RAM.

One question... have any of your techie friends offered to help you with this? Just curious.

Reaction score
Well, when all else fails, just do a clean install. Although some will disagree with me on that.

Give us some information about the power supply capacity, video card and RAM.

One question... have any of your techie friends offered to help you with this? Just curious.
well, I'm in WI, and they're all in England, so we're kinda slow on the email volleys,and they're also at roughly the same tech level as I am. Im already at the clean install level, re-imaged and if anything its made the problem worse. The machine isn't critical to my life and never had sensitive information on it, so when it started acting out and restore point rollbacks didn't fix it, I figured I'd just start over.

The video card is an MSI-made nVidia 9400GT-MD512, See attached for more detail.

The Ram is 4 sticks of 2gig DDR2 running in Dual-channel symmetric interleaved mode, see attached for more detail.

powering down the box and popping the case to get a look at the PSU and ram in a few. appreciate the help <3

Edit to add;

memtest ran through a couple of passes just fine with no problems; Ram is Apacer 2gb UNB PC2-6400 CL5 but Im not having any luck finding manufacturer timings or voltages for it. :/

PSU is a 400w Delta electronics model

+3.3v /18A
+12v1 /16A
+12v2 /17A
+5 VSB /2.5A
+5v /18A
-12v /0.3A

(+5 & +3.3v) cant exceed 130w
(+5, +3.3, +12v1, +12v2) cant exceed 390w
(+12v1, +12v2) cant exceed 300w

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Having same problem for quite new (about month) Emachines E732ZG laptop with Intel Pentium P6100 CPU and 4GB DDR3 ram, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 video. All drivers seems to be up to date. Also friend upgraded his PC recently changing CPU to i3 on Asus MB with 4GB DDR3 ram, and having same problem. 64bit Windows on both machines, so far haven't found anything useful to solve problems.

Tried without success: Setting power to high, updating all drivers, checking ram with memtest.

Main problem is i can't find any specific errors or warnings in any system logs for specific times when freezing happens - and it happens quite randomly whether it's browsing internet, typing in office or playing games. Only thing so far were some driver response too long warnings for PCI device, however those were not at freeze times. Haven't tried with linux live cd yet tho, but so far it seems to be driver or software related error.

Ask a Question