TCPView

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
TCPView
TCPView is a Windows program that will show you detailed listings of all TCP and UDP endpoints on your system, including the local and remote addresses and state of TCP connections. TCPView provides a more informative and conveniently presented subset of the Netstat program that ships with Windows.
TCPView

Ever notice the lights on your modem flashing even though you are not browsing or downloading? ... this can tell you exactly what programs are using those open ports. The list auto-updates as connections are created or destroyed, so you can see your network activity in real-time. If a particular program--or perhaps malevolent bit of spyware--is streaming data from your system, you'll be able to see it, and, with the handy context menus, either close the connection or end the process. If there's a lot of activity on your system, you can filter the list. You can also save the entire list to a text file, and alter the speed at which the list refreshes.

Is your machine freeze caused by the tons of software that attempt to autoupdate? This utility can be used to watch the internet accesses. Adobe and Java love to go out and download updates and bring the computer to a stall. And of course your Anti-virus and Windows Updates also do this. I prefer to disable much of this auto-updating and even disable the checks for an update on most of my software, so I am in total control of when the internet is accessed and utilized by my software. But I don't recommend this if you are a casual user who will not do the manual checks on a consistent schedule.

I love how Microsoft bought up Process Explorer and now this utility, so you know they are both pretty good tools and often useful.

Probably not for everyone, I would rate this utility as valuable for Network engineers and ÜberGeek's and people with intermittent freezes.

Last edited: