Some Windows 7 add-ons for speech recognition

MTM

Reaction score
I also think that, for the heavy speech user, an USB headset is a must.
The USB microphone is just a regular microphone with a USB Sound pod (an external sound card) enabling connection to your USB Port. The reason this is often recommended is soundcards built into the motherboard are often not well shielded and pickup electronic noise. This electronic noise will make it anywhere from difficult to impossible for speech recognition software to work accurately. When considering any speech recognition microphone background noise canceling should be a major consideration as well as comfort. The eMicrophones web site not only has descriptions based on our use in testing but most have videos that show how to wear and use these microphones.

ps: depending on the software you are working, "show numbers" does not work all that great.
We have found that Show Numbers works excellently for the applications we use. These are generally standard Microsoft Windows applications. Which applications have you found difficulty with?

Marty Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.
Microsoft MVP

Reaction score
We have found that Show Numbers works excellently for the applications we use. These are generally standard Microsoft Windows applications. Which applications have you found difficulty with?

Microsoft MVP
Just give an example on an Office application, Show Numbers does not work in Excel. The numbers show up in the top menu, but the cells in the main window are as if they don't exist.

And, aside from some Microsoft software, if you try any software with a non-standard user interface, it will not work properly.

In Photoshop, show numbers recognizes nothing on the toolbars.
In the Cubase audio software, "show numbers" recognizes nothing in the main window.

In most multi-media applications, it will not work...

In standard applications, with standard user interfaces, "show numbers" is great, but for these softwares with more esoteric user interfaces it does not the work. For these cases, I find that those add-ons are useful lifeboats.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
bob, for which version are you sure it does not wok: 2003, 2007, 2010, or all of them?

I'm curious, has anyone tried it for office 2010 yet ?

It may be the office software itself, as I know it also prevents many applications which tweak mouse functionality from functioning properly, too.

MTM

Reaction score
Just give an example on an Office application, Show Numbers does not work in Excel. The numbers show up in the top menu, but the cells in the main window are as if they don't exist.
I use Microsoft Excel in Microsoft Office 2007. All menu and label items work with Show Numbers. It is easy to move from cell to cell. Simply say for example, "Move right 4," "Move down 6," etc.

And, aside from some Microsoft software, if you try any software with a non-standard user interface, it will not work properly.
Microsoft has made it clear to developers they should follow TSF guidelines if an application is to be speech recognition or hand writing recognition enabled.

In Photoshop, show numbers recognizes nothing on the toolbars.
In the Cubase audio software, "show numbers" recognizes nothing in the main window.
Maybe if enough Photoshop (I use Lightroom) users make Adobe aware they are not TSF compliant, Adobe will take it into account in their next development cycle.

Microsoft MVP

Ask a Question