SOLVED Skill testing question

Reaction score
Once in a bit, I get those exciting scam e-mails. My question is this --- is it possible for those things to drop pictures on ones computer, even though a document is not opened.

I've found several unpleasant pictures in my directory that is geared to automatically take all downloads. I'm wondering how they got there. Can someone give me help with this -

Thanks!!!

Reaction score
This would be due to an overload in the Replicator Sockets. Mine advice would be to go to another forum where you'll get help for this, or at least, a reply.

Reaction score
This would be due to an overload in the Replicator Sockets. Mine advice would be to go to another forum where you'll get help for this, or at least, a reply.
Funny thing about that comment, my first question on the forum didn't get answered either because it was such a strange question.

I'm sorry you didn't get a reply and I still don't know what to say for an answer. Your question does seem to be security related, not Windows 7 specific. Perhaps you would have had better luck on a security forum that deals specifically with topics of Email virus nature.

We are people just like you that try our best to answer question the only way we know how. And yes there will be question just like the one you ask, that will never be answered because no one here knows the answer. We are volunteers, we do not get paid to know.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I've found several unpleasant pictures in my directory that is geared to automatically take all downloads.
Well I read your question and I found it somewhat confusing. Your "geared to take" is extremely vague.

It is quite simple to get pictures into a folder, any webpage you visit can contain pictures which are downloaded to your browsers temporary storage area. Embedded java or scripting could probably easily move them to a more common folder such as your photos. It's also quite easy to embed code after an actual image but you would still need a program/script to call it. But a picture doesn't do anything on it's own; it cannot run so it can't "take" downloads.

Another possibility: You can get files named picture.jpg.exe and depending on your settings your system may hide the .exe part of the extension so that all you see is picture.jpg but if you click it it actually runs a program.

Still none of that explains what the heck you could possibly mean by "automatically take all downloads". Takes them where? Are you saying it deletes them? what?

So I would say if you want help then you should give as much information as possible including your system information, be as clear as possible (which you weren't), and if you don't get a reply in a few days then assume we don't know the answer and try elsewhere.

Anyway, apparently you have your answer so I will mark this as solved.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Are you the only user of that computer? Is your network secured? Is it wireless? Do you use a spam blocker?

Ask a Question