RoboBackup (Coded by Ace)

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Here's a new project I just finished. It will backup the directory with all of it's filestructure intact to a specified location of your own. From that specified location, it creates it's own little folder so that you don't have to worry about having it get mixed in with other files in a directory you choose.

Application: RoboBackup

Description: A quick function for Robocopy to a quick accessable way of saving backups and recognizing saved script backups.

Features Include:

• Allowing the backup to copy/mirror the file permissions to the backup location
  • Logfile - Creation of a logfile (saved to the application's execution directory) with all of the backup information of the files that have been saved to a backup location.
  • Save Preset Script - This can be used after saving a preset, and pressing the button to run the preset backup upon running the application even after close.
  • One Click Backup - This will create a backup based on the exact settings you've specified in the form, but nothing will get saved. Just a quick function to create a backup of a directory.

Preview Images:

Virus Scan:
http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan...c032ac58d2cde262a0ae6448a2ac734374-1310182127

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?f07i4hu5z2b2w8i

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: The application presented here is maintained outside the control of this forum. Safety precautions including maintaining regular back-ups, running an anti-virus scan on any files downloaded, as well as creating a restore point prior to any installation are always recommended for programs downloaded from the internet.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Before anyone decides to not try out my application, I'm going to recommend that you at least take the time and effort to run it through a scanner for yourself, test it through sandboxie, or a virtual machine even. And decide whether or not I am a legit clean uploader. I do not wish to infect other members, but I do want to become a trusted member here.

If necessary, I will provide a source code (possibly) as this is still completely my own work, and I don't want anyone else claiming it as their own.

My application just makes robocopy easier to "utilize" as you don't need to know any flags for running it through command prompt, and it also will give you quicker accessibility to backing up your files through robocopy, especially with a save script feature.

For those that do test my application, be sure to post some feedback on anything you think could be improved with this application in case I decide to further my development on this project.

Reaction score
Before anyone decides to not try out my application, I'm going to recommend that you at least take the time and effort to run it through a scanner for yourself, test it through sandboxie, or a virtual machine even. And decide whether or not I am a legit clean uploader. I do not wish to infect other members, but I do want to become a trusted member here.
I don't think that will be necessary, any uploads that are not legit would be exposed quick enough. I trust your sincerity and feel an interrogation is not needed.

My application just makes robocopy easier to "utilize" as you don't need to know any flags for running it through command prompt, and it also will give you quicker accessibility to backing up your files through robocopy, especially with a save script feature.
So your application is basically a front-end loader for a command-line utility?
Or is robocopy also yours?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If we doubted the posters sincerity we would pull the thread. The advice in my disclaimer is good advice for any program you get from the web.

We do hope that people who try the app will post their results/objective opinions or, if they are satisfied with it, at least check the Thanks button on the OPs first post.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
robocopy.exe is a built in windows feature that runs from the system folder. You can only run it from the cmd prompt with a list of flags and directory locations for specifiers otherwise, or run it from a batch script.

For people that don't know these flags, my program will make it easier for others to use.

here's an example cmd line for utilizing robocopy:
Code:
robocopy "C:\Users\Infinity\Desktop\original" "F:\BackupFolder" /MIR /R:5 /W:30 /LOG:robolog
This will backup the folder called "original" located on the desktop to a location on another drive, (external), in a folder called "BackupFolder". the file permissions of the backup are copied over, the number of retries if any errors arise is 5 and the wait time between retries would be 30 seconds. It's 30 seconds by default if you don't name that flag. But LOG at the end will also save to a log file.

My program will compile values in more user-friendly terms into that kind of format, and run it. It will also recognize a saved command if you save a preset. This is useful in case you have a folder that you regularly want to create an updated backup of, say in your External hard drive in case something goes wrong with the files in the original location. You wouldn't have to input those values, it would recognize them from before.

But no, I didn't create robocopy, my program just utilizes it, it would be simple enough to copy the files over to a location directly from the program, but I decided to try something with robocopy on this one instead.

robocopy is a good feature.

Updates: I could have an encryption method in my future releases for this. Robocopy doesn't support that so it would be all on my own code to do so, using different encryption methods/algorithms and hashes. I already created a class for that, so it wouldn't be hard to do, but backups could be secure as ever if I were to include that. Maybe even a future compression method for decreasing the filesize of a backup?

------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all the supportive feedback however. I appreciate that. The reason I do projects like these is based purely off my hobby for programming. I love everything about computers.

Last edited:

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Added a scheduled time feature to this:

preview1.png

The only feature I don't have is to add it on startup/boot. But that would be even easier to do later. It creates a "RoboConfig.ini" when you save a scheduled daily time, so even when the app closes it won't forget its scheduled time.

I'll provide a download link later possibly.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Created this quick image for it:

Didn't have anywhere else to post it.

Ask a Question