Random BSOD and trouble installing Windows 7

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Can you not install onboard from Motherboard disks ? or download with another PC to Flash Drive ?

Reaction score
Is there a way to provide custom drivers during installation? I seem to have seen it mentioned in some other posts but haven't seen anything about how to actually do it.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
It would be better to install the drivers to the Motherboard first, then install Windows 7 with just onboard graphics ... its worth a try :)

Reaction score
I sooooo wish I had onboard. But I'm a bit confused about what you mean by installing the drivers "to the motherboard" before I install Windows 7. I can't install Vista, so I can' t do an upgrade, if that's what you mean.
Again, thanks for your time, in particular Veedaz and TorrentG.

Latest update: I managed to get into safe mode by rewriting my unstable image of win7 I had made by going to a repair shop and switching video cards and switching my card back in. In safe mode, I made sure to update the audio drivers, but I also made sure to update all drivers manually using the ones I'd down'd from manufacturer's website (which I'd done before). But the audio drivers updated... which is strange. I also disabled a whole slew of onboard features in bios, and am going to turn them on one at a time. But my first challenge is installing ATI-Catalyst... the install freezes... just sits there. I'm talking like 20min not moving past approximately 10%. And when I cancel it, I get this message:

So, dealing with this now, but better than what I was doing before.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
OK so what Graphics Card are you using now ? and as its working i would stay with that one ATM.

Reaction score
I'm using ATI HD4850, and stuck on installing CCC. Working on it though. Anyway, I should move to another thread for this, already concluded that win7 didn't cause any trouble for my PSU.
Thanks for letting it go so tangential.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
One last word M8 try to get on line and update Windows.

Reaction score
Wiser2001 if you would like the Thread Title changed let me know what you would prefer.

Reaction score
Welcome to my new thread!
I've decided to try win7 x86. See how that goes.

Reaction score
Not yet. I'm just arranging to head to the place it was bought from. It's going to be a pain. I live in Beijing, and though I've been learning Chinese for 4years it's still difficult. On top of that I didn't buy the computer from there, I bought it secondhand from a client of my girlfriends, who sells IT security systems, and though I have the receipt, the bulk of the internals have changed (different case, DVD, HDs, PSU), so it's not the computer they assembled, only part of it. I have a receipt, but all the explaining, all the steps I've taken to get to what I know now, will be... challenging.

But at least I know it has to be the mobo. I went to a shop and they kindly allowed me to use one of their shelved video cards for the 2nd time (didn't ask for money either), and I could not complete an installation of Win7 using two different video cards. In fact, using mine gets further than using some older ones. So... indeed, it is the motherboard.

Now, living without my main computer for x-weeks is going to be my next challenge, I feel like I'm preparing for monkhood.

Reaction score
Eh. It's not so rough. I went through the same thing with my spec machine. I've had it since 2005 when I bought it new. It used to have a different motherboard and the caps failed on that one. So I replaced the motherboard with basically the only one I could find that was compatible with everything else I already had. Then I found a user that made a rare unlocked bios for it so I can overclock.

Ended up being only 30 USD including shipping and system has been perfect ever since. Believe it or not, I play all the latest games on this rig really well, with the exception of GTAIV because that's the most processor (cpu) intensive game I know of. So 30 USD is the basis of a really decent rig. Even by today's standards lol.

Reaction score
Now, living without my main computer for x-weeks is going to be my next challenge, I feel like I'm preparing for monkhood.
I can honestly say, I don't know how you feel.
I can say, I wish you luck. :)

Reaction score
I'm glad you don't know this uncertainty. On top of that, I can't in touch with the store, so I'm not sure if he's gonna want me to bring my whole rig (across the city in the subway, quite a haul) or just the mobo, which I wasn't given a box for.
Will update on state of pain.

Day 12 without main computer - Already feeling Fallout 3 withdrawal...

Ask a Question