Problem with defraggler.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
These defrag programs are becoming like anti-virus programs. Everyone has an opinion.

For me there has been only one to use and that is Raxco's PerfectDisk defrag program.

It has consistently been rated the best by several reviews over the years and it's the one I plan on sticking with.

The others don't measure up in my humble opinion. PerfectDisk FTW!
Thanks, Nibiru for the PerfectDisk program.

I ran the checker for both discs, they were slightly off from Auglogics's numbers, the OEM partition was perfect, the other was 0.5% fragmented. All numbers were excellent, as rated by PerfectDisk. I ran the defrag on Ultimate, it brought it down to 0.1% fragmentation. So it's an excellent tool to have.

However, it's only a trial version, so I saved the install file on a USB thumb drive, if that doesn't work, I'll download a trial every six months or so.

You're right, there's as many defrag options as there are AV's (I don't want to go there), but I've found a home with Auglogics. And twice a year, I'll download whatever trial of PerfectDisk, and run it, too.

Cat

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Many of the defraggers do the same thing - bring associated data together on the hard disk, so the head does not have to do so much work, and is quicker. Linux tricks the user by saying it does not need a defragmenting tool. In fact, linux puts all the data in the middle of the hard disk, so that, in effect, the head is always close to the data, on a hard disk with space to spare. - Works for them ?
The Microsoft defragmenter is excellent, and designed for the OS. However, Microsoft made a mistake. They did not realise the impact it would have on users, not to be able to see alll those little squares jumping around.
They have reintroduced a little graphics, in Windows 7, but still not enough, apparently, to satisfy.
As has been said a couple of times here, there are several different arithmetical approaches towards the object of defragging. The name oif the game is not to use more than one - It is a total waste of time. The second program destroys the work done by the first, but finishes up with it's own version of a defragged HD..

Some interesting reading here - read the comments too!
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/...d-engineering-the-windows-7-improvements.aspx

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Microsoft's built-in defragger at one time was an extremely watered down version of Diskeeper, at least it was in XP.

I don't know about whether that's true in Windows 7 though.

I stay away from any Diskeeper products because it's owned and run by Scientologists, whose methods I disagree with most fervently.

If there are any scientologists here I mean no offense; I just disagree with what they do, how they do it, what they stand for, their methods of indoctrination, etc.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I had the wrong version of PerfectDisc 11 installed (the "home" version). Once I downloaded & installed, and activated the PerfectDisk 11 Professional Version, and ran it, I now have 0% fragmentation on both drives.

I highly recommend this product to everyone. There is a trial version to "try before you buy".

It can be found at:

http://filecluster.com/downloads/PerfectDisk-Professional.html

Enjoy!

Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
I decided to delete the O&O defrager from the laptop. We did a lot of moving files and photos etc and running it again it had gone back to it's extremly slow analysing. Trying Auslogics defragger atm and it seems to be very fast and defragged to 0%.

After removing O&O and before installing Auslogics I tried defraggler again but unfortunately it still came up with the same error.

Ask a Question