Problem with 4GB of RAM

Reaction score
True, but maybe removing them triggered the fault??? Either way I would be checking everything else before replacing a MB regardless of its age but if all else tried fails then that might be the only option.

A way to check all slots is to run a 3rd party mem test http://www.memtest.org/ with 1 stick of your new ram in. Leave the other slots empty until all 4 slots have been checked. Failing that a MB testing card could be used at startup. It would be cheaper than a new MB but you wouldn't use it very often once you fixed this issue.

Reaction score
Current position.

All four slots filled with 4 x 1GB, BIOS reports 4GB, windows reports 2GB

Slots 1 & 2 filled with 1GB + slot 3 with 1GB, BIOS reports 3GB, windows reports 2.5GB Dual channel mode inactive.

Slots 1&2 Filled with 1GB + slots 3 & 4 filled with 512MB, BIOS 3GB windows 2.5GB Dual channel mode active. I give up at this point and leave it with 3GB installed (I guess the lost 500MB is for hardware use).

Thanks for all the help.

Reaction score
It shouldn't be, is an OS re-install out of the question? Out of curiosity, you said you have Win7 32 bit installed, what version is it: Starter, Home, Pro, Ultimate as isn't starter limited on the amount of ram seen by the OS as it was meant for developing countries?

Reaction score
Taken from: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

Physical Memory Limits: Windows 7
The following table specifies the limits on physical memory for Windows 7.
Version

Windows 7 Ultimate
32 Bit: 4 GB
64 Bit: 192GB

Windows 7 Enterprise

Windows 7 Professional

Windows 7 Home Premium
64 Bit: 16GB

Windows 7 Home Basic
64 Bit: 8GB

Windows 7 Starter
32 Bit: 2 GB
64 Bit: 2GB

Last edited:
Reaction score
Windows 7 home premium.

I have an update.

My son has same motherboard and is running BIOS 2.10 and while installing the 2 1GB Crucial modules in his PC I noticed he has a memory hole option in his BIOS.

So I have now updated my BIOS (1.50) to 2.30 (2006) the latest on the ASROCK site for this board and now I can get 2.92GB with memory hole disabled and 2.5GB with hole enabled. So I guess that earlier BIOS without Memory Hole option had it enabled.

Still it has got me another 0.5GB which makes me feel a bit better.

Reaction score
Probably not going to help but have you checked for a BIOS update to that board?
Looking at the BIOS up dates they relate to AM2 processor socket updates, the mother board can accept an additional CPU mounting board for the newer AMD AM2 socket processors.
Must have changed more than just CPU settings.

Is this 2.9 with all 4 modules installed?

Reaction score
The general advice from mfs is not to update the BIOS unless absolutely necessary (mainly due to the risk of failure and a total non working system I guess) and as you point out the updates related to the additional board option to mount an AM2 socket processor so I kept with 1.5 as everything was working fine with 2GB memory.The 2.9GB is with 2x1GB in first two slots and 2x512MB in second two.If you add 2x1GB in second two it still only sees 2.9GB.

Reaction score
Just to add something I learnt this morning. It may be relevant.

A friend has just bought a new laptop with Win 7 Home Premium (32bit) pre-installed. It is already fitted with 4Gb ram but Windows only sees 2.6Gb!!!

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi andyrpsmith

We have one Computer that is loaded with Windows 7 32-bit (my wifes Desktop) and it has 3GB RAM with the windows tweaker it shows 3GB RAM so i presume if a Computer has 4GB ram it would show >

Reaction score
Hi andyrpsmith

I remember reading somewhere that there was a tweak to change how Windows displayed the Total RAM. Basically it doesn't change anything, it only changes what is displayed. The change displayes the total RAM not the RAM that is being used. This tweak could be the same as what I read about.

However I did find something along the lines of what you where refering too. The best I can tell is if you have 64-Bit hardware and a 32-Bit OS. You can force windows to using the extra memory. I am skeptical, but others say it works. Read more here - Make Windows 7 and Vista 32-bit (x86) Support More Than 4GB Memory.

PS - I will also ask Ian to check this post because it is a form of Windows Crack and post Windows Cracks are not allowed.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
PS - I will also ask Ian to check this post because it is a form of Windows Crack and post Windows Cracks are not allowed.
As it's not a Windows Crack as such (i.e. circumventing anti-piracy measures), this one could be fine, as far as I'm aware. However, I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole, as it's a kernel patch that could change many other things. I assume it must be 36-bit addressing via PAE, but this will no doubt cause some other problems.

edit: I found this which might be an interesting read on the technicalities/legalities : http://www.geoffchappell.com/viewer.htm?doc=notes/windows/license/memory.htm. As far as I can tell, the Kernel patch isn't legal, but the Windows Tweaker 4GB tweak is something harmless (but probably won't make a difference). At the end of the day, you'll need to use x64 if you want to address large amounts of memory properly.

Reaction score
As memory has increased in price recently, I ordered mine for £97 and the next day Crucial upped the price to £106 it would seem sensible to stick with 3GB for 32 bit systems as best value.

Thanks for all the good advice.

Reaction score
Andy I have the same board. The memory hole must be disabled if you are using PCIe card. I do have 4 gb of memory installed because it is dual channel. If only 3 slots are filled it will not run in dual channel mode, you will see this as the comp posts. If dual channel memory is in all four slots it will post with dual channel mode on.

Ask a Question