Photo viewer problem

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well whenever you edit the registry they always recommend caution because it is such an important piece of how your computer operates but in this case it is quite a simple fix.

If you are new to the registry editor, it looks similar to Windows Explorer in that it has folders and sub folders and you simply navigate your way down to the folder you need on the left and then the "files" to change are on the right.
McAfeeRegEdit-Before.jpg
Double-click on the entry to change and fix it's value from ending with .TMP to .LOG
McAfeeRegEdit-Edit.jpg
Click OK to save the change and here you see the result.
McAfeeRegEdit-After.jpg

I do not have McAfee myself but I added the entries to the registry to give you some idea of what to expect. You should see a bigger list of folders on the left and more entries on the right, simply find the one listed.

Reaction score
I finally finished reading the thread on the McAfee community forum regarding this problem.

The thread is found at
https://community.mcafee.com/thread/35820?start=0&tstart=0

I'll try to summarize here:

It looks like the problem surfaced shortly after US Mothers Day (May 8, 2011). File attributes are being set to "hidden" when a change is made to a file in the Windows 7 Library ... not only photo rotation or editing, but also renaming seems to cause files to go hidden. Whole folders were also becoming hidden according to some of the posters. Now, more than 3 months later, there is a work-around and a target date for the permanent fix.

The work-around posted here in the w7forums using regedit seems to be aimed at a particular update level of McAfee's real-time scanner. Several of the posters on the McAfee thread noted with considerable frustration that as soon as a new McAfee software update (not a data update) was pushed out, their "fix" became unfixed. Apparently the item in the registry that needs to change from 3|3|*.TMP to 3|3|*.LOG is not always ExcludedItem_16.

On August 5, 2011 in comment 198 of the thread, Doug Richards, Sr. Tier III Engineer, McAfee Technical Support (dougr_t3_support), posted a link to a technical service bulletin about this issue:

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS101228

TS101228 provides links to:
a batch file that will change the necessary registry keys
(updated to look for the .TMP key in keys 12-30)

a cmd file that is supposed to reset the hidden file
attribute on your affected files

On August 4th in comment 185 of the thread he wrote:

Update on the hidden file issue...

Target release dates [for the permanent fix] per our
regular 3 stage process:

8/16 to Korea & Australia
8/23 United States and Great Britain
8/30 To all remaining languages

In the meantime we will need to use the workaround
to prevent and recover any hidden files. As mentioned
before, if you need assistance applying the fix
(which works 100% of the time when applied correctly)
send me a private message with your email address, and
I will be more than happy to do it for you.
So far I haven't used the TS101228 files to fix my own computer; I think I might just wait for the permanent fix. Note that Mr. Richards of McAfee technical support is offering to provide personal help to anyone who can't apply the fixes on his/her own.

MOM @}-->-------

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Makes you wonder why a fix for such a major screw-up takes them so long to implement.

I have not been a huge fan of McAfee ever since their 60 day trial ran out on my Mother's laptop and even after uninstalling and running their clean-up utility other AVs would refuse to install because they said McAfee was still installed. I spent a couple days rooting through the registry trying to get rid of anything McAfee related. Of course if you continue to use McAfee then this isn't a huge issue but I feel software that doesn't have a good uninstall routine can be quite frustrating/annoying.

From the looks of it, and people correct me if I am wrong, it appears my biggest issue with McAfee would be the same issue I have with Norton, they do not have a true 64-bit version which means you are poorly protected against malware scripts if you use the 64-bit browsers available today. The truth is most people still use a 32-bit browser even in a 64-bit OS but 64-bit technology has been available since Vista 2007 and these companies seem not to care. As long as the general/casual user is oblivious to this weakness they can go about their business and their customers feel they are safe even when they aren't.

Reaction score
So ... as I posted above, I was waiting for McAfee's permanent fix for this bug, supposedly on August 23 here in the US. Today (the 23rd) I did get an update from McAfee which required a restart of my computer. Unfortunately, the photos are still going hidden upon rotation.

Looks like the roll-out to the US was put off for another week ... now scheduled for August 30th. I'm still loath to apply the work-around because I know it gets undone with every interim update from McAfee. Now that the fix is available though, one could go to a the McAfee website for a country where it has been released and download it from there.

Link to the McAfee community post regarding this: https://community.mcafee.com/message/202360#202360

I think I'll still wait for the automatic update on Aug 30. :p
MOM @}-->-------

Ask a Question