SOLVED OCZ Ceasing Memory Operations to Focus on SSDs

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score

As we reported in the summer of 2010, OCZ was scaling back its memory operations, specifically in the lower end segment. Today, despite the fact that they displayed many new models of DRAM during CES 2011, the company reports it will be creasing all future DRAM development to focus heavily on its successful SSD venture.

The company released their fiscal 2011 third quarter results, Monday. Within this statement came the bombshell that “the board has determined that it is in the best interests of the stockholders to accelerate plans to discontinue its remaining DRAM module products by the end of its current fiscal year of February 28, 2011. Accordingly, our DRAM products are now expected to have minimal, if any, sales in the next fiscal year and beyond.”

“Revenue generated from our Solid State Drive products for the third fiscal quarter more than doubled on a sequential basis,” said Ryan Petersen, CEO of OCZ Technology. “SSD revenue accounted for 78-percent of our revenue and just by itself exceeds our historical quarterly revenue totals across all categories, thus reinforcing our decision to discontinue our remaining DRAM products.”

OCZ Technology was founded in 2002 as a memory company, as was a key player in the rapid development and launch of SSDs

SOURCE

Reaction score
Bollocks....you get something that works great and they take it away....idiots!!!

Great info Nib's.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
OCZ stated yesterday that they will honor the "Lifetime" warranties on the RAM sticks out there.

They will replace with equal or better in the same type, if they're out, then you get a refund.

From the Hardware Canucks.com website:
On the bombshell announcement last week that long time DRAM manufacturer, OCZ, was pulling out of the market, the company wants to assure its long time customers that they will not be left high and dry regarding any warranty or support for their now grandfathered DRAM modules.

OCZ has always promoted its lifetime memory warranty, but as consumers found out earlier this year with the now defunct BFG, a lifetime warranty may only hold true as long as the company stays in business and continues to produce product. OCZ has said they definitely don’t intend on going anywhere anytime soon, and in fact will become a stronger company as a result of their renewed focus.

We touched base with OCZ Technologies CMO, Alex Mei, to clarify what owners of OCZ memory modules can expect in the event they run into troubles with their OCZ memory.

Q: We received a tip from one of our forums members, that owners of DDR2 memory modules, and potentially DDR, were unable to obtain replacements for their dated modules and were instead being offered comparable DDR3 replacements, or a refund or credit? Will this be common practice, and is there an adequate amount of DDR3 modules in supply to fulfill future RMA requests?

A( Alex): We will have a good supply of modules for the coming months to support customers should they require a replacement for any reason. In the event that there is not a replacement part in stock we provide customers with either a credit/refund. We will not leave customers hanging and at this current time continue to sell a wide range of memory modules through this wind down period.

Q: Is “refund” a monetary refund, or just a credit towards another OCZ product?

A (Alex): It is either depending on the customer, product and situation. In some cases customer may wish to move to another OCZ solution and we will provide a credit that can be used towards another memory kit we have in stock or even another product type (example: SSD or PSU). If a monetary refund is preferred we will provide this to customers at fair market value.

Q: Will the “lifetime” warranty continue to be a “lifetime”, or has there been a fine print clause that now places a limit on the time frame a user can request an RMA?

A (Alex): The warranty for the memory products has not changed at all. While we may not always have replacement product for customers in the long term through the variety of methods we mentioned earlier we will continue to support our customers whether through replacement, credit towards another product or refund. We appreciate all our customers business and will work with all of them to make sure they are taken care of should any issues arise. As we shift our focus from DRAM to SSDs we want to make sure that all of our loyal customers that purchased memory are supported and if anyone has any issues whatsoever they are encouraged to contact our forum support and customer service team.

So there you have it, OCZ owners can rest easy knowing that in the event of a manufacturing error with any currently owned OCZ ram, or any memory purchased during the “wind down period”, you will continue to be fully backed by the company.
I prefer MUSHKIN Enhanced RAM myself. They FTW!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've noticed recently a couple of promos on OCZ SSD's (at Newegg), a little over $100 for a 64GB SSD. That's a good sign that the prices are beginning to drop.

If the 128GB ones drop in price further, I may consider buying one myself. I have a 1TB Samsung drive now, but much of what's on it, I don't really need (mainly a stockpile of VM's). 128GB of hard drive, although by market standards is low, is a lot of drive space, and adequate for most users.

BTW, I just looked, I have two installs of 7, and each has XP Mode, along with a few other VM's, and neither is using 100GB of drive space. I'll probably never come close to filling this 1TB drive, not even half way fill it.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Be sure you're checking the specs on the SSD "deals" being offered right now. Some have very low specs, similar to a hard drive, so be sure to verify the READ/WRITE rates, IOPS and such.

Some manufacturers are getting rid of their early models and that's why the pricing is pretty decent. For a 60 GB SSD with high-end specs, expect to pay around $130 or so.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning Nibs.:top: Although you can find many good deals at Newegg, I suppose that just as any other business, they accumulate a lot of older model products. Then they run big sales, "shell shockers", and whatever. Not a single day hardly goes by that I don't get an email from them.

Just like everywhere else, I guess it's good to at least know what you're looking for. I got one not so good "deal" from Newegg myself. One of those very small (about 1 inch) wireless "N" USB adapter. It only cost $10, with free shipping, and it's fast. The problem with it is, on my notebook, where I need it, it gets too hot. On my desktop, this doesn't happen. The only reason that I didn't return it, was it would have cost half of it's price to send it back.

I saw an Airlink one that was very nice, a regular sized one (about 3-4 inches long), for $19, on Amazon, and it's "N" 300Mbps. Airlink has good reviews. BTW, they have one of those "mini" ones too, but I don't want another that small.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Well those Newegg "ShellShockers" are the frikkin' bomb!

A few weeks ago they had the OCZ Vertex 2 60 GB SSD, the one that kicks butt, on sale for $109 !!! Alas, I was broke so I couldn't get it, plus there was a $20 rebate too. Now it's off sale and the rebate is gone too. ....sniff! :(

Ask a Question