NT Kernel & System - High CPU

Reaction score
In my case quitting Skype fixed it (yes, Skype was somehow causing high CPU use by the "NT Kernel & System" process). So it may be worth closing all programs that may be using system resources to see if that helps.

(By the way, recent versions of Skype are just awful. It's bloated software at it's worst... there isn't even any way to quit the program without killing it with Task Manager!)

Reaction score
Thanks

This process was slowing my PC and dragging 60% of CPU in Task Manager.

I am using Window 7 Pro 64 on an Athlon Phenom black Quad core

My fix:- Open control Panel, System, Hardware delete all network adaptors,

Refresh hardware

Adaptor found and reinstalled

No more problem I assume some update or stray program did something to screw up adaptor setting

Hope this works for you
hello friend.. thanks for the nice work.. absolutly the problem was my ethernet card.. i searched all arround.. i delted allot of softwares.. and finally.. i tried this.. and it worked.. thnks.. thnk u soo much.. and if someone dnt want to uninstall network card.. the simple way is.. goto change adabter settings.. if u have wifi and lan.. thn disable lan first and see the processor status, if it work.. thn it mean u have problem with lan.. if not, thn try disabling wifi..
thanks..
regards...

Reaction score
I had the same problem and i tried to close explorer.exe. Then i started explorer.exe again and it fixed

Reaction score
help pls...

I have been running W7 (64bit) with no problems at all for the past year or so. Last night my PC installed some automatic updates before shutting down, and as soon as I booted up this morning I have a notice from my internet security about NT Kernel_system (saying it has changed since it was last used, and do I want to allow network access). After reading some of the posts here I checked task manager and everything seems fine, but im unsure whether to allow access now in case something goes wrong with performance or even hdd....

Any advice pls?? Thanks in advance
(yes I am a noob!) :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
nb79uk, you did not mention anything about sudden high CPU usage so I'm not sure your situation belongs in this thread but if they were Microsoft automatic updates that updated your kernal then it is perfectly OK to allow access.

If something else updated your kernal or you are not sure then I would recommend downloading some anti-virus tools and running a safe mode scan as follows:

Download TDSSKiller and RKill from our Freeware DB. If you do not have an anti-virus then download, install, and allow to update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM). Then reboot your system into safe mode without networking (Reboot and, when it says "Starting Windows," Press F8; If you get a message asking continue in safe mode or perform a system restore, choose continue in safe mode). Now run TDSSKiller and after that run RKill and after that run a full virus scan. The first two will take maybe 5 minutes each but a full virus scan can take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours depending on your hard drive size and number of files.

Booting in safe mode makes sure only minimal services/programs are started. TDSSKiller is designed specifically to look for rootkits. RKill is designed to stop the stealthing programs that hide/protect/regenerate some nasty viruses. Running these first will help ensure your A/V has the absolute best chance of cleaning up infected files.

Reaction score
thanks...

thanks for the swift response! Also, apologies if I posted off topic... I will follow the advice and post the outcome. Thanks again :)

Ask a Question