No Jumplists

Reaction score
Hello - Newbie here...

I have no jumplists on my machine. :(

I have tried looking on the Net for solutions and have tried all the obvious fixes, to no avail.

Any ideas anyone?

Reaction score
Hi Cheemag - Welcome to w7forums

Which programs do not have the jump list?

If you right click the taskbar and select properties >> Start Menu tab >> Customize, there should be an option at the bottom to select how many recent items are displayed in the jump list. Make sure this number is not set to "0".

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Interesting...Mine are gone too, and the # of jumplist itemsm Clifford mentioned is 0, and cannot be changed 'cause it's greyed out.

Reaction score
Have you guys disabled any services that maybe required for the jumplist to work?

I'm not absolutely certain but I'm thinking that the jumplist shows recent items that are stored by each application. If this is so then the application must also be setup to store a recent list.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I found the following forum post when I had the same problem and this worked for me after trying the usual suspects. Don't ask me why it worked though!
I found the fix myself. It was in an earlier problem in this forum, when someone complained that their Office 2010 jump list entries had disappeared and would not come back. The solution which was recommended was to do this:
Method 2:
a. Open Windows Explorer.
b. Type or copy and paste the following into the address bar:
%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations
c. Identify files that are comparatively larger in size than the rest of the file, such as files that have file size of 1 MB or more. Delete the abnormal file.
or you may delete all files from here
d. The recent items functionality on Jump Lists will be restored. The recent items on the Jump Lists will be re-added as the program has been used.

I tried it, and I found a couple of files more than 1MB in size, so I deleted them. Problem solved.
Would anyone care to explain what cause the problem, and why this fixes it?
Thanks.

Reaction score
%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations
For reference; my jumplist is working and nothing in that folder is larger than 50KB.

Thanks Elmer, Maybe you have saved the day again. :)

Reaction score
Hi Cheemag - Welcome to w7forums

Which programs do not have the jump list?

If you right click the taskbar and select properties >> Start Menu tab >> Customize, there should be an option at the bottom to select how many recent items are displayed in the jump list. Make sure this number is not set to "0".
That's been set to 10 since forever.

Where exactly are the jumplists? Pop up with the pinned app or are they somewhere else? I've never seen one - in fact I'm quite certain I've never had jumplists since purchasing this W-7 machine 2-3 months ago.

Which programmes do not have jumplists? Er, all of them! UltraEdit open file dialogue has a 'Recent Places' option, but I doubt that is a jumplist.

Last edited:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting.. My jumplists are gone as well. I don't use them, but hey, it's still weird...

I think Office has a jumplist - can't remember though.
These patches aren't doing any good :/

Reaction score
Have you guys disabled any services that maybe required for the jumplist to work?

I'm not absolutely certain but I'm thinking that the jumplist shows recent items that are stored by each application. If this is so then the application must also be setup to store a recent list.
Would help if I knew where these jumplists manifest themselves. Is a 'Recent Places' option in an open-file dialogue a jumplist? From what little practical information I can glean from the Web, they appear (when?) in a separate window somewhere, (or are attached somehow to the pinned application(?)

Reaction score
I found the following forum post when I had the same problem and this worked for me after trying the usual suspects. Don't ask me why it worked though!
Thanks for that Elmer, but I think I tried that before. Anyhow, the largest file in there was only 32,256 bytes in length, but I've deleted all the folder contents.

Now what?

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
A clutch at straws here but,, Do you have a "NoRecentDocsHistory" registry entry under either of these registry keys?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Don't think for a minute you will have, but you never know...... I've had weirder things happen in the registry, no (knowingly) help from me.

Interesting.. My jumplists are gone as well. I don't use them, but hey, it's still weird...
I'm with you FC but I just managed to start them up again before switching back off.

Last edited:
Reaction score
A clutch at straws here but,, Do you have a "NoRecentDocsHistory" registry entry under either of these registry keys?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

No DriveTypeAutoRun = 145
NoStartMenuMorePrograms = zero

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
ForceActiveDesktopOn = 0
NoActiveDesktop = 1
NoActiveDesktopChanges = 1

Don't think for a minute you will have, but you never know...... I've had weirder things happen in the registry, no (knowingly) help from me.
I think I may be gaining some of the jumplist functions. I've taken out the Vista Start Menu and gone back to the awful Window-7 one. Some programmes on the start menu now have pop-outs to the right. Some are headed 'Recent' some 'Tasks', but still nothing on the programmes pinned to the taskbar. If I were to unpin and repin them (?)

Reaction score
Are you guys by any chance using Ccleaner to delete the jump lists without realizing it?

Reaction score
There is a check box for "Taskbar Jump Lists" in the Windows Explorer section that affects this, instead.

4 lines below Recent Documents.