New Windows user needs help with security software

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Revo Uninstaller does a good job of removing junk, too. It removes the program, then all of it's leftover folders and registry entries.

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a fifteen-year Macintosh user and have never owned a Windows-based computer. I have a 13.3" MacBook laptop. Windows-based computers are completely new to me.
Within the next couple of days I will be buying an HP laptop for use with an electronic sign-making machine, the Summa D75, which comes with a program called WinPlot.

I guess I'll have to start worrying about viruses, malware, spyware, and possibly other things.

Viruses are not an issue with Macs so I need to know which antivirus software package(s) is best going to protect my HP and at the same time not have any incompatibilities with either the sign cutter or with WinPlot. I don't care so much about the price of the anti-virus software as I do about its capability.

If you had a new HP laptop what would you install software-wise to make it as bulletproof as possible?

And which HP would you get? I'll need to have a big monitor, say, 15.5". It'll need to have 4GB RAM, about a 2GHz processor, at least a 500GB HD, good size video card.

What other things should I be considering?

Thanks,
Walldog
There are lot of recommendations about Internet Security. Take a look at a recent test of the offerings, this may help you decide.

http://www.anti-malware-test.com/?q=node/180

davmax

Last edited:
Reaction score
piriform the maker ccleaner is a great program. I myself run it once a week alone with defraggler

Reaction score
I prefer Avast 5 as my AV program and for tweaking and cleaning my pc, i find windows system care 3 ,auslogics disk defrag and registry mechanic as good applications to work with :)

Ask a Question