New OS

Reaction score
Will I have joined the rest of you Ultimate 64 bit users. I must admit, going from 32 bit to 64 bit and going from Home Premium to Ultimate was a big speed improvement. One that shocked me even on my low end self built system. Now I have to change my system info on my profile now....lol.

Reaction score
Congrats. I would have gone 64 but for whatever reason I did not get that install to work. For the moment happy to have 32 as I can run 99% of what I had before and get a feel for 7 without (hopefully) the dramas

Reaction score
Congrats. I would have gone 64 but for whatever reason I did not get that install to work. For the moment happy to have 32 as I can run 99% of what I had before and get a feel for 7 without (hopefully) the dramas
I took three attempts for mine, I guess the 3rd time is the charm....

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Glad to see you like Ultimate 64 bit, Bassfisher. I have it too, but it's an evaluation version, not a full one. I like the BitLocker app that comes with it, it's very handy, you can even lock down your backup and flash drives with it. That's my main reason for liking it. I hope that it serves you well.

Michael, I forgot that your OS is 32 bit. In that case, with 2GB RAM, your performance is better than a 64 bit system with the same amount of RAM. It's the bare minimum for 64 bit.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I'm a Professional X64 user myself. Never saw any reason to go to Ultimate, since the Pro version has virtually all the same features except for a BitLocker, 1,256 foreign languages, etc.

I don't mess with folder or file encryption since I've never had a need for it. Besides there's a free app available that is better than BitLocker.

Besides... ain't I a Professional? LOL! I'm not "The Professional" though, cause woolen beanie caps make my head itch. Have similar shades though.

Anyway, welcome to the upper-echelon of Windows 7 users now BassFisher!

I believe that Pro and Ultimate are more efficient at using and allocating RAM and other resources. If I am wrong, I'm sure I'll hear about it.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Pro x64 is my main install, too. I find it to be more than adequate, it has a few more features (notably XP Mode and advanced backup features) than Home Premium does.

Whatever version of Windows that I have owned (Win 2K, XP & 7), I've always found that the Pro versions offers more than the Home versions do. That's why it suits me better, a lot more for a little more dough.

Cat

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Congrats on the upgrade!

I'm glad to see it wasn't too hair-pulling to get it working. I am an Ultimate user myself but don't even bother with the bit locker or xp mode, lol. I can't rreally comment on the faster comment since Ultimate is all I've ever had on this machine.