Mystartsearch

Reaction score
Hi

I have a problem with a browser Hijack... 'Mystartsearch' opens a search page in Mozilla Firefox after boot. When I close and re-open Firefox my usual homepage appears.

I deleted the program from Programs in Control Panel. I have run various virus scanners including Windows Security essentials. I have searched in regedit and deleted any references to Mystartsearch. I have deleted the strings from the Browser shortcuts target. Still Mystartsearch appears...

Any suggestions apart from reformatting my hard drive would be appreciated

Reaction score
It seems that your computer has been infected by Mystartsearch.com redirect virus. You have to completely get rid of this threat if you want to fix the problems on your PC.

How to Remove Mystartsearch.com Redirect Virus

STEP 1: Remove Mystartsearch.com from your Windows

In this first step, we will try to identify and remove any malicious program that might be installed on your computer from Control Panel.

To view the most recently installed programs, you can click on the “Installed On” column to sort your program by the installation date.
Scroll through the list, and uninstall any unwanted or unknown programs.

Depending on what program has installed the Mystartsearch.com infection, the above program may have a different name or not be installed on your computer. If you cannot find any unwanted or unknown programs on your machine, then you can perform an automatic repair by using tool from the link:

It will automatically repair issues that block program installation or removal because of corrupted registry keys.

Or you could proceed with the next step.

STEP 2: Remove Mystartsearch.com from Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome

You can reset Internet Explorer settings to return them to the state they were in when Internet Explorer was first installed on your PC.

Open Internet Explorer, click on the “gear icon” in the upper right part of your browser, then click again on Internet Options.

In the “Internet Options” dialog box, click on the “Advanced” tab, then click on the “Reset” button.
In the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” section, select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then click on “Reset” button.

When Internet Explorer has completed its task, click on the “Close” button in the confirmation dialogue box. You will now need to close your browser, and then you can open Internet Explorer again.

Step 3: perform a full scan by using your Anti Malware software.

You also might need to remove Mystartsearch.com related Internet Explorer add-ons home page or default search engines:

Click the "gears" icon Internet Explorer options icon (at the top right corner of Internet Explorer), select "Manage Add-ons". Look for the "Mystartsearch.com Toolbar" and "Mystartsearch.com Helper Object", select these entries and click "Remove".

Click the "gear" icon Internet Explorer options icon (at the top right corner of Internet Explorer), select "Manage Add-ons". In the opened window, select "Search Providers", set "Bing", or any other preferred search engine as your default, then remove "Mystartsearch.com".

Good luck!

Reaction score
Mystartsearch.com is not a PC virus but an unwanted and unneeded search site which comes by bundling with other programs. You can follow this manual removal guide to remove it completely.