Monitor doesn't sleep as specified in computer power options

Reaction score
Toshiba TV

Sorry jpaulm ...missed that it is a TV being used as a PC monitor...there might not be a driver in that case ..firmware seems to be all that is available......firmware update might or might not help and there are some risks in updating firmware you could end up with a dead TV so caution....
Luck,
ronpeck:)

Reaction score
Thanks Ron - I got my hopes up there for a minute! I have it hooked up with DPMI and it's a beautiful picture - esp. now that I'm starting to get used to 144dpi :) Just seems strange that this is the only computer/monitor combo I've ever had this problem with (and the monitor was the only thing I changed - and I get the same problem with VGA cable) !!!

I installed the latest firmware, and the TV still works - but no change to my sleep problem! Thanks anyway!

Reaction score
I see you posted this on the Toshiba forums as well. Did the monitor come with a CD for driver installation?

Reaction score
Thanx, Linux731 - interesting question! It didn't come with a CD - do TV/monitors usually come with one these days? What I can't understand is why Toshiba hasn't paid any attention to this problem - and I've left several posts on various forums - as you noticed...

Reaction score
Well, since you have a TV/monitor, those really don't come with anything for the PC unless the company really cares about the customer... And yes, I know you posted on the other forums since I put in the model number on Google and your post is the first thing on there. I can't seem to find anyone/anyplace that has this monitor/TV. You'd be better off by buying a monitor from an actual monitor brand, like ViewSonic, Dell, HP, etc. My HP 2011x monitor is great, and it comes with all the appropriate driver CDs to fully function.

Reaction score
Thanks, linux731! Kind of late now - and the strange thing is that it is really the only thing wrong with the machine AFAIK :) I can live with it - I suppose what bugs me most is the deafening silence from Toshiba. Surely this can't be a great advertisement for this otherwise quite good machine...? I mean if someone Googles the model number, as you did, they are going to find this problem - with no mention of a solution...

Reaction score
Yes, I agree. Toshiba needs to step their game up. They can't sell a TV with no support. I had the same issue you had, like the exact same issue (sleeping of the monitor) with my RCA 26" LCD TV when I used it as a monitor. It wouldn't "turn off" and in the Device Manager, it was Genereic PNP monitor. No support from RCA whatsoever. Moral of the story: Don't buy TVs to use as a monitor. EXCEPT, Insignia TVs from Best Buy. My brother has one, and it actually works great. If the computer is set to turn off the screen after 2 minutes, it actually turns off, unlike mine, which just went into the No Signal screen.

Reaction score
That's really interesting! Also a 26 in., but by RCA, with the same problem. That suggests that they are very similar under the covers... I assume you Googled your TV as well - but maybe I should keep an eye on RCA software/firmware updates as well :) As I said, I can live with it - but I want to make sure that the store knows about the problem too, just so future buyers aren't caught out... Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Yeah it's great that you posted in the Toshiba forums because of the Googling of buyers will find the problems with the TV.

Reaction score
Thanks Ron - I got my hopes up there for a minute!

I installed the latest firmware, and the TV still works - but no change to my sleep problem! Thanks anyway!

Hi! there,
Sorry to hear you are still having problems..
Something else for you to check though if you have either a wireless mouse or wireless keyboard...in Device Manager/keyboard/particulars/Power Management..untick "Allow this device to wake computer"
Win 7 sometimes auto ticks these and they have with me, caused the computer not to go to sleep..
dont give up..luck,
ronpeck:)

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, Ron! I don't have wireless mouse or keyboard, but I remembered that the USB root hubs have that option... Unfortunately they are all unchecked - do any other devices have this feature? Actually could this have anything to do with my wifi setup? A real long shot... :)

Ask a Question