Modify Basic Start Button

Reaction score
With a non-aero Basic Theme, the start button looks like the classic 'Start' button.

How do you rename the text on the start button?

Last edited:
Reaction score
You need to use software like Resource Hacker to edit explorer.exe and modify the .bmp files inside. Not recommended unless for advanced users that know how to repair issues.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Also you will find the Start Button is in 3 stages / sizes, i would recommend making a full backup of your system before you attempt to edit explorer.exe, study and understand what you may be about to do ;)

Reaction score
that was the case for the aero theme's the basic theme actually says 'Start' and I did not see this in the explorer.exe when edited with Resource Hacker. Can you be a tad more specific?

Reaction score
Hi qdeath - Welcome to w7forums

What exactly is your goal?

Why are you using the basic theme?
Would simply turning off aero effects with the regular theme not be what you are looking for?

Reaction score
Hey there Clifford_cooley -- thanks for the welcome!

The problem with turning off area with a regular theme will not allow extreme modification of the color scheme (Active Title Bar, Message Box, Application background, etc....) LOTS of specific tweaking!

I am using the basic theme and would used to be able to edit explorer.exe and rename the 'Start' letters in the old style start button. I reviewed resource hacker and cannot find where this is now located in windows 7. Do you know what file this information was moved to?

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Did some find a solution for this issue?

I also would like to change the basic start button ...

Ask a Question