Maximising columns in Explorer

Reaction score
When I open Windows Explorer with a list of say, music files in a folder, the column that holds the file names is maybe 2 inches wide, so I have to move the bar at the top in order to see the whole name. Double clicking the gap at the top edge of the column auto-expands the column to show the widest entry.
Is it possible to have Explorer auto maximise this column as soon as I click into a folder?
If I am browsing 30 folders than it takes some time to constantly maximise the filename column, so having it maximise automatically would be very useful.
Thanks in advance for any help.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
In "View", scroll down to "Choose Details" (In your case "Name" at the top). At the bottom of that window is a small square, where you can adjust the size. Unfortunately (as far as I am aware!) you must do this for each and every folder you need it for.

Reaction score
In "View", scroll down to "Choose Details" (In your case "Name" at the top). At the bottom of that window is a small square, where you can adjust the size. Unfortunately (as far as I am aware!) you must do this for each and every folder you need it for.
Ahh was hoping there was a registry hack to make it happen automatically :(

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It does do it automatically after the first modification, and on subsequent reboots.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes... But only on folders that you already changed.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
As I said.
" must do this for each and every folder you need it for"

What else could it do, if it has nor been customised.??

Last edited:
Reaction score
As I said.
" must do this for each and every folder you need it for"

What else could it do, if it has nor been customised.??

If yuo tell it to maximise that column, there is a command for it. I was hoping that command might be able to be set for the column you choose every time you open Explorer. Shame if not but it would have been nice. Thanks anyway.

Ask a Question