Lots of white noise from Line-in (pink) audio jack.

Reaction score
I have what appears to be a generic Realtek audio device (it has no model number in system information) in my laptop, and my line-in jack has an unheard of amount of white noise, whether something is connected to it or not. The noise cancellation gets rid of the noise, but then I have to shout into my microphone to make myself intelligible.

I have explored the internet, and no one has my exact problem, but they usually fix their problem by reinstalling the driver. I had no such luck, that didn't work for me. One person even had to update their BIOS, but no updates for mine address my problem, and I don't trust myself with flashing my BIOS anyhow.

I have an adapter to change my handheld microphone's 4.5 mm plug into a 3.5 mm plug, and from that to the white and red RCA plugs that go with the yellow composite plug, so I can attach it my old Easycap video recorder, but getting that to wok on my new windows 7 laptop has been a whole other animal (i.e. it doesn't work.)

If someone has a solution for my Realtek card, or a way to adapt a 3.5 or 4.5 mm plug to USB, I would love to hear about it!

P.s. I have a text file with all the information on my sound card that I could get, if you wanna take a peak.

Attachments

Reaction score
Reinstall the Audio drivers from the laptop manufacturers website.
Dell
HP
Gateway ect.

Go to the mfg. website. go to downloads put in your laptop model # and OS and then go to the Video drivers.

Reaction score
I have explored the internet, and no one has my exact problem, but they usually fix their problem by reinstalling the driver. I had no such luck, that didn't work for me.
My laptop is an ASUS, all my info is in my computer specs, under my profile picture.

Reaction score
White Noise Issue

Keboose~

Since you said this is a CONSTANT problem no matter the situation(things plugged in or not and updating drivers doesnt help), what it sounds like to me is that there is something HARDWARE wrong with your board. Meaning the solder joint on the "line in plug" has come loose,, or is some how "shorting" the connection.

Is the noise only audible to you or can others hear it as well ??? If you can hear it as well as them then there might be a "board short" as I mentioned up above.

If you do the "noise cancellation" can you jack up the volume on your mic so you dont have to shout ??

Afterthought about the drivers.
What you COULD so is donload the drivers.. but DONT run the exectutable. Then go in and REMOVE THE DRIVER TOTALLY.. reboot system THEN resintal the drivers FRESH rather that doing a "direct upgrade" . Don't let windows put thier "generic" driver in when it goes to detect the sound card on boot up.

What COULD be happening (if the "update" didnt take correctly) is that the two (old and new) are conflicting.
Also get your Drivers (if you can ) directly from Realtek
Just some thoughts and suggestions. Good Luck.
~LoneWolf

Reaction score
well, I tried the drivers again, and they didn't work.

I opened the computer, and of what I could see, there were no broken connections, but I couldn't see everything. all 3 of the plugs were covered in a metal housing, soldered to the board.

Look:

I found this website that looks like it has the board, but I'm not sure if I trust the site.

On the back, the board I have now says "G60JX IO BOARD REV: 2.0" on it, so I think I found the right page on the site.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Did you download and install the Creative Audigy audio driver?

AudioAltec Lansing® speakers
Creative Audigy HD
EAX Advanced HD 4.0
That's what the Asus site shows for your model of notebook computer.

Actually both the Creative Audigy and Realtek.

Go here to download them: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=wNlU5jNxXL3CrjRU

Did you try going to the Sound section of Control Panel and checking all the settings there?

Reaction score
Broken Connections

Keboose~

Just cause you cant see the connections,, or breaks in them) .... doesnt mean they arent there .. they can be "hidden" to the eye..

hell i couldnt even see them on my one paltop i had and they enede up having to replace the whole Mobo..(warranties arew a great thing when they work in your favor)

If what you are showing is the part from your your system .. you MIGHT ( considering it has "mounting holes" on either side) be able to get a replacement for just the sound card....(wich woudl be unsual) which is something you may have to consider..

Did you try, other than the driver update,,, what i suggested about using the noise cancelling and then turning your Mic volume up and see if that helps ??

Just my humble opinions.
~LoneWolf

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Keboose - also I noticed that is a fairly new notebook. Is it still under warranty?

If it is I wouldn't go in there and start messing with sound cards and such.

Besides the image you show doesn't have any of the sound chipsets on it, it is just an external connection board.

Does this "white noise" occur through all your output devices such as speakers, headphones, etc.? External and internal speakers both?

Reaction score
Audio Drivers

Nib ..

Nice catch on exactly what the OP woudl hve needed ..

Word of warning tho .. (from personal experince) With Creative.... Many(if any at all) of thier drivers DO NOT WORK CORRECTLY with Win 7 ( especially the older cards but have noticed it on newer card as well)

I have what you see in my system specs.. and many of what is SUPPOSED TO be avialable things DO NOT WORK correctly .. Matter of fact my case has been "bumped" to thier "level 2 techs" ( have to call them on monday) to see if they have fixed the issue or not.

Case in point my Mic in ( or line in) does NOT work with the head phones i have .. OR ANY Microphone whatsoever.

I have to use the Mic on my Webcam(Logitach Brand) to be able to talk on voice chat ...thank (insert choice here) that at least works..

Also to Nib~ Ty ( in a totally good way) for reiterating what i mentioned in my origial post to Kaboose.. im sure it will help .. :)

Just my Thoughts~
LoneWolf

Reaction score
thanks for the info. I thought I was holding the entire sound chip in my hand, but I guess not.

I reinstalled both audio drivers, but it didn't help. Boosting the audio only added echos on top of the static.

My laptop has a 1 year parts warranty, and I bought a 3 year accidental warranty, so I might give ASUS a call.

Reaction score
Keboose~

You said earler in your original post "The noise cancellation gets rid of the noise, but then I have to shout into my microphone to make myself intelligible."

What I suggested is if you turn ON the noise cancellation ( thereby stopping the "white noise" as per you original post) and turn up your mic volume(meaning the volume your mic sends your sound to the other person) .. does that not work ??

As per your most recent post .. you said "Boosting the audio only added echos on top of the static."

So im guessing by that post .. eitheryou did not select the "noise cancellation" or you did do such and the static is still there just not as noticable unless you boost the mic volume..

If the latter is the case then its DEFINATELY a Hardware based problem..rather than software problem...

Again just some suggestions.
~LoneWolf

Reaction score
Well, yeah, I hear an echo of my voice whether I have noise cancellation on or not, but only if I use the mic booster.

And it looks like the ASUS support website is down until tomorrow, so I can't register my laptop until then.

Reaction score
Keeboose~

So far we have dertimeed th following

1) You have an ASUS Laptop(confirmed)

2) You have what either possibly ( going by eveyrthing that has been said in this thread) EITHER a Reltek(by your system specs) Or a Sound Blaster( By Nib) Audigy sound card in your system.

3) You have done a CLEAN INSTALL of all drivers relative to your sound card( going by what you have said) and are still having the issue

4) You have folowed everything that Myself and Nib have said for you to follow..(again going by what you have said)

One thing I have said ,, is that it is a hard ware issue... I will say I MAY have been wrong ( IF INDEED you have a Creative Sound Card as Nib suggested)

Creative software and Win 7 DO NOT play well together ..... if you looked at my post up further .. i have been waiting for a "compatable " sound driver for mine .. so i dont have to use my Web cam mic and my head set (which has a mic on it that i cant use) to be able to talk to people on voice chat..

If you have the FULL SUITE of creative software ( Mixer, driver..ect) you MIGHt be able to work thru the issues .. again this is ONLY IF your sound card is in fact a Crerative Sound card.

If you do have a Creative sound card .. you CAN go to thier site and pop in your sound card model/series(use your software of choice to find out how to get this information.. or directly from you system mfg.) and get ALL Drivers and any add on software (Mixer/console launcer etc.) and "tinker around" in there.

This is comming from ..again.. since i have updated to Win 7( formerly was a xp person on a desktop) I have had similar issues with creative. .. and they have not found a fix yet for the issue ..

In my case .. it more than likely would have to be replacing my Sound card that is compatable with Win 7..which unfortunately you don't have the luxury to do being as it is a lap top.

Just some odd things as suggestions as things to think about...
~LoneWolf

Ask a Question