Is Windows7 more convenient than XP?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Make sure that any new add ons you buy has a print on the box saying "Windows 7 compatible".
Well, that works but you must understand that in order for that to be printed on the box, the maker had to submit the product to Microsoft then pay them to test it and to put that label on the box. It is not a mandatory requirement and many product makers are not going to do that - nor should they have to.

The better approach is to hit the product maker's site and see if there are Win 7 drivers. That said, since in the vast majority of cases, if Win7 drivers are not available, Vista drivers will work as they use the same database. And of course, it is essential to make sure you get 64-bit drivers, if you are using 64-bit Windows 7.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I understand your post fully, but many users don't. Many doesn't know what a driver is, they just know that you pop in a CD, and their stuff works. Now, with 7, you seldom have to do a CD install, but once in a while, you may have to. I did, with my Dell 720 Photo Printer. Made for XP, there were no 64 bit drivers listed on Dell's site for it. But I found it on Microsoft Answers, and it worked. Many of today's users don't care about the technical end of things, they just want everything to work. That, among other reasons, is what drives this forum, those who buys a new computer & attempts to recycle their old accessories on that new computer. There are many issues solved, some, there's no hope for. But we do have a fairly good record when it comes to getting the user going, as long as they they are persistent in finding an answer. But some makes a single post and is never heard from again. Those unanswered posts aren't our fault. But really, in this day & time, users have come to expect "plug-n-play", and I'm one of those, too. After all, this is 2010, not 1995.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I understand your post fully, but many users don't.
Oh? I think my post was pretty clear. Even if someone does not know what a driver is, my post suggests they check the site for "Windows 7 drivers". The word driver is common termonology that all sites, hardware makers, and operating system makers use and understand.

I'll also add that checking the maker's site is a good idea regardless what the box says. This is because it is very likely the drivers on the CD in the box are outdated, and new drivers (and updated manuals too) are on the site.

Ask a Question