Is it cheaper???

Reaction score
Is it cheaper to upgrade to W7 ultimate if you own W7 home premium?

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, and I may not be, the answer is no, because all you do is pay the difference between the version you have and the version you want. When you add that to the base price of the version you already have, it's basically the same.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, and I may not be, the answer is no, because all you do is pay the difference between the version you have and the version you want. When you add that to the base price of the version you already have, it's basically the same.
Wouldn't that mean that the answer is "yes" then though, to correct what you're saying.

He asked if it was cheaper to upgrade from Home premium to Ultimate, and if you pay the difference through the upgrade, then yes it would be cheaper than paying full price for a full retail version.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't know in your country. In the USA the upgrade from premium to ultimate is offered for as low as US$87. The Full version of W7Ult, I can get the OEM version for about US$110.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
From the OP, he already owns Home, so without doubt, an upgrade would be cheaper.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
> Cheaper than downgrading to Starter I think lol

I did notice that too, but I just assumed he meant as opposed to buying a retail installation disk for the full OS instead of just an upgrade. Only possible comparison that made sense to me. So if that's true then he has an answer (a few actually from multiple members), otherwise, i'll wait for a response too. Nice catch clifford

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Is it cheaper to upgrade to W7 ultimate if you own W7 home premium?
What is your purpose for the upgrade? Do you REALLY need the Ultimate version?

The Professional version has nearly all the features of Ultimate with the exception of about 2 other features which are BitLocker and 35 additional languages. If you want the BitLocker, then TrueCrypt is much better in most users' opinion. Do you need 35 additional languages?

If you truly want to upgrade, I would recommend the Professional rather than Ultimate.

Reaction score
What is your purpose for the upgrade? Do you REALLY need the Ultimate version?

The Professional version has nearly all the features of Ultimate with the exception of about 2 other features which are BitLocker and 35 additional languages. If you want the BitLocker, then TrueCrypt is much better in most users' opinion. Do you need 35 additional languages?

If you truly want to upgrade, I would recommend the Professional rather than Ultimate.

Well i need the Run as Xp mode, and to you who still want a complete question here it comes:
Is it cheaper to upgrade from w7 home premium to ultimate, or is it the same price as just buying w7 ultimate from a store for full price...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Professional can do the XP mode but in the USA I can buy the anytime upgrade from Home Prem to Ultimate for about the same price as Home Prem to Professional, often the Professional goes for even a few dollars more.

And being from Northern Europe you may be able to benefit from the languages in Ultimate. So you should evaluate your needs and the price difference loacally to decide if you need Professional or Ultimate.

So yes, here we can get the anytime upgrade cheaper than even an OEM version of the full product. I would suspect that would be the case even over there but I do know it has been mentioned that the anytime upgrade in Australia costs more than it does to the USA but the full version likely costs more there too, so I would suggest you look up prices locally.

Last edited:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Isn't an upgrade by tradition cheaper than a retail copy? I don't think the price of the original edition should really factor into this unless specifically asked about.

Just seems like this thread got unnecessarily complicated...