Impossible DSL Internet connection

Reaction score
Have a new 64 bit win 7 computer connected to the internet via a minimal verizon DSL line. When I first got this machine (June 2010) it worked fine right out of the box just connected everything includiing my DSL modem and everything worked. However, on August 17, 2010 my internet connection was lost and after checking with techs from ibuypower, Verizon, ASUS and my local computer store. The problem seemed to be a failed LAN on the MB. Resulting in my having to send the machine back and have the MB replaced.
It was quite clear once I got the machine back that while technically I had an internet connection it was virtually unusable owing to the impossible slow download speeds. It should be noted I am computer illeterate and gave up trying to understand computers in the DOS days in the 80's.
So after going around in circles with the ibuypower techs and sending the machine back two more times without this issue resolved. I took the machine to my local computer repair store and apparently the machine works perfectly fine providing you have very highspeed internet connection.

So if anyone out there knows how to address this problem? Let me know, but keep your responses very simple.

Thanks,

JVVNV

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I guess my first question would be - is every phone that is connected to that phone line going through a DSL filter, even wall-mounted phones. Each phone must have a filter and then your computer should actually have a dual filter and your computer must be attached to the side labeled for computer (a phone can be plugged into the other side). Without these filters you connection will cause data loss and even loose connection completely. Most providers give you 4 or 5 in the installation kit but if your house has more than that then you can buy them from your ISP for about $15 each or find them at a computer store or online to save a few bucks. Without a clean line data often must be retransmitted multiple times just to get one clean portion of a file (called a packet).

Second, what level of DSL service have you contracted with your ISP Most ISPs offer different tiers, the slowest probably being 768kbps. Consider upgrading to a more expensive plan.

You can test your speed HERE

Last edited:
Reaction score
There is no problem with my dsl line. That is simply not the issue.the same line I'm hooked up to the same line now using my old vista machine and the speed is sufficient for everything I have to do on the web at the moment. Up until the LAN on the MB failed my win 7 machine worked even better using the same DSL line. Once I got the machine back the problems began and seemed to get worse as I tried to work with the tech from iBUYPOWER. I had to return the machine two more times with nothing resolved.
It seems to be a case of "OUT OF SIGHT OUT OF MIND", in the sense that the techs at iBUYPOWER had the computer hooked up to a very highspeed internet connection and it appearently my computer works perfectly fine with that kind of connection. Unfortunately, the way ibuypower is organized you can't actually talk to the techs who work on and check out the machine so all you can talk to is the "PHONE GUYS" who just kept me going around and around in circles. It wasn't until I got the machine back the last time and took it to my local computer repair store that the machine has somehow reset itself to work with a highspeed internet connection after the MB was replaced and cannot reset itself to work with my little DSL connection.
I am not a computer person and gave up trying to understand them in the 80's working with DOS. Perhaps, if I was more savy in computer terms I might have been able to explain the situation better.
But, thanks for responding. its just not the DSL line.
JVVNV

Reaction score
Motherboard lan adapters do not fail or go bad. Uninstall any 3rd party firewalls you may have, update the driver for the lan directly from the manufacturer's site. If still fail, then run these commands one at a time from an elevated command prompt, then reboot after:

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset C:\log.txt

------------

You can copy and paste the commands with the mouse. Make sure the prompt is elevated...a.k.a - ran as admin.

Reaction score
do you have other computers connected to the dsl modem when trying to connect with you pc?

if so disconnect everything including phones & filters and try it.so the only thing connected is your win7 X64 pc

sorry didnt see you post there TorrentG

Reaction score
Hey guy,

You might want to check with ASUS about LAN failures it's not a common occurance but it does happen and it did happen to me. I appreciate your response and I may not have clearly identified the problem owing to my lack knowledge of computers. But I've been going around in circles for several months now and your response doesn't tell me anything new. Perhaps if you ask me some questions I might be able to explain the situation better.

JVVNV

Reaction score
Hey guy,

You might want to check with ASUS about LAN failures it's not a common occurance but it does happen and it did happen to me. I appreciate your response and I may not have clearly identified the problem owing to my lack knowledge of computers. But I've been going around in circles for several months now and your response doesn't tell me anything new. Perhaps if you ask me some questions I might be able to explain the situation better.

JVVNV

Did you follow TorrentG post?? you should do that then maybe give my theory a try if all fails we will all start from the begining and ask you questions.

Reaction score
With all due respect, you have cited numerous technical non-sense impossibilities, and you are telling me to talk to ASUS?

I suppose you aren't aware of who I am and what I do for the technical community.

Let me start by correcting a few things.

1) Motherboards do not, can not and it is impossible for them to "reset" themselves to work with any type(s) of connections.

2) If you have internet access failure for any reason, it is not a hardware issue, unless you physically broke a cable or similar.

3) You have had the same issue occuring on 2 different physical motherboards and somehow you still think the failure is due to a hardware issue.

Um....ya.

Let me tell you again, that the problems you are having are not due to any hardware issue.

Did you follow my previous post perfectly? What are the results?

------------------

If you still need help and would like me to make your supposedly broken lan adapter work again, type msinfo32 in the start menu then press enter. File | save on the opened screen. Zip the saved file and attach to a post.

Along with that, open a command prompt, type this command then press enter:

ipconfig /all

Make a screen shot and also attach that along with the zip.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey guy,

Just relax man. The motherboard in my win 7 machine was replaced in August. And according to the techs at iBUYPOWER the LAN on board wasn't working. Look I called ASUS, talked to the techs at iBUYPOWER and had the computer checked out by my local computer repair store and the consensus of opnion from all these guys was the motherboard had to be replaced. (device cannot start.Code 10) and that was in fact a clearly defined Hardware problem and there was simply no internet connection.

Now, I believe the current problem is a software problem which started after the motherboard was replaced. It must be remembered that the computer worked just fine right out of the box when it was new and all I had to do was plug it in to my dsl modem and that was it. However, when I got the machine back after the MB was replaced and connected the modem all was not fine. While I did have an internet connection it was and still is unusable. Yes I can get IE8 on screen but I can't connect and use to any of my email accounts.I can't update win7 or Norton 360 with this machine or do anything useful on the internet.

Some of the error messages in the course of attempting to deal with this:
Error Codes: #80072 E2, #80072 EFE, #80072 F78, #118, #651, #103 in addition to other comments:
Local area connection does not have a valid IP configuration.
Network access protection is turned off.
DNS server is not responding.
Web page is not available.
ERROR: Windows could not automatically detct this network's Proxy Settings.
The wired network adapter is experiencing problems.

Norton 360 also points out:
the192.168.1.1 gateway on Realtek Controller has No Quick Response.
Wide Area Internet Host Check has NoQuick Response.

It should also be noted that my win 7machine works perfectly fine when plugged into a high speed internet connection but cannot reset itself to work with my minimal DSL line. Of course if I had disposable income and could spend 2 or 3 times more for a higher speed connection this matter could be resolved but a buck is a buck.

Look I'm just a 68 year old disabled Viet Nam Vet who really knows nothing about computer problems and when I say something has to be reset I mean some change in software has to occur before the win 7machine is usable with my little DSL line. It may be possible Norton 360 could be part of the problem so if you could recommend a different less invasive security program I'll give it a try, it's just that I can't download anything on my win 7 computer.

Also, you should understand that as I don't have a router I have to disconnect my win7 machine and plug in my old vista machine in order to email you and as I don't type very fast communication will be slow.

Reaction score
Code 10 is caused by software....lol.

You have Norton360 lmaox80million. Uninstall it with the tool found here in safe mode:

http://pcperformancetools.com/norton-uninstall-tool.php

Reboot and install MSE.

Enjoy your fixed machine. And for the record, I am relaxed. Further, ASUS can come to me for help, not the other way around. Just being honest, not arrogant. So can all those guys you went to for help.

(I already explained to you that motherboards do not reset themselves. If you would have already followed my first post in the thread, it would be solved already. I fixed the issue before knowing any detail at all.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
thanks for rhe response once again. Yes, I'm aware of a potential conflict between the norton360 firewall and the windows firewall. But you see when my machine is connected to a high speed internet connection norton was not a problem. I had already decided to get a different security program will probably pickup a copy of McAfee Total protection on the advice of my friends IT guy. I will of course uninstall Norton 360 following your directions Just to simply take that out of the situation.I don't think I can get to that until Monday. But I will get to it.

Thanks again, Just understand I'm slow and right now I have my vista machine connected and have to print all the comments before I setup the win 7 machine.
JVVNV

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
thanks for rhe response once again. Yes, I'm aware of a potential conflict between the norton360 firewall and the windows firewall. But you see when my machine is connected to a high speed internet connection norton was not a problem. I had already decided to get a different security program will probably pickup a copy of McAfee Total protection on the advice of my friends IT guy. I will of course uninstall Norton 360 following your directions Just to simply take that out of the situation.I don't think I can get to that until Monday. But I will get to it.

Thanks again, Just understand I'm slow and right now I have my vista machine connected and have to print all the comments before I setup the win 7 machine.
JVVNV
Sir - First of all... Thank You for serving our country during a time of war! My utmost respect goes out to you! I don't know if I should say OOOORAH or WHOOOAHH! :eek:

My hearty recommendation would be G DATA Internet Security. $29.95 for a year subscription and is very user-friendly to use, etc. That's just my humble recommendation though. It's your choice what to use and you're the end-user.

I hope it all works out for you!
~Nibs

Reaction score
Hey,
Thanks for the suggestion (G DATA), but I think I'll go with MSE for now, Tried to follow TorrentG's directions last night but discovered another problem that when pressing F8 on startup I do not get to a list of options where safe mode is listed as it should be. All I get to choose from is a list of my three hard drives and two DVD players which doesn't get me anywhere. Now if you know of another way to get to Safe Mode on win7 or an explaination of why a list of my hard drives and DVD players are doing there I'd like to hear it.I just don't understand this and it appears that I also can't turn protected mode on in the win7 machine.
Just when I think I have an answer things just continue to get worse.

JVVNV

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have found that pressing the F8 repeatedly, about every 1/2 second or so works best. Try and see how it goes.

As I stated before, whichever AV application you decide to use is your choice and I respect that. What works for one person doesn't always work for another.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Maybe try F4 if F8 doesn't work.

Note: whichever key it is, it only seems to work for me from a fresh boot: shut down and power on, not a restart. If you see the swirling windows it's too late.

Reaction score
thanks will try F4 later when I unconnect the vista machine I'm using now and hook up my win 7 machine. This is killing me

Ask a Question