IE 8

Reaction score
Here is a problem for me which maybe someone has an answer to....I use internet explorer 8 now in Win7 64bit and I need to log onto a site twice with different log in numbers etc. and use both windows in tandem ....have been able to do this with previous internet Expl. versions but not this one?? when I try to open another log in page it shows me as being already logged in!!!.:mad:.very frustrating..do not want to shift to another browser but might have to..:)there must be some switch but I can't find it ..help please:)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Thats interesting!! I just tried my wife's old laptop with XP. I was unable, for example, to log twice into this site. Would that not be a function of the site, rather than of IE?? Just an enquiry.
Amendment.(Later) It didn't occur to me to try, but I just opened another instance of IE8 (Using my computer - Windows 7 RTM) and found I was already logged in. Is that the feature which is failing for you?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply....:) No you are using the same login...I am talking about the same site but two seperate login details and IE8 won't alow this but previous versions would.. checked with the IT people who run the site I use and they assure me that they haven't changed their side of things and what I propose is a normal action..

Reaction score
Here is a quick question.

Will the first IE8 login stay logged in if you can manage to log out with the second IE8 and login with the second ID?

Or is this your dilemma?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's because the cookie sessions are shared across the browser. The only way I can think of doing this would be to open a new window in the "InPrivate" mode (press CTRL + SHIFT + P). This should isolate the two instances AFAIK, but you'll need to try it out to confirm it works :)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Not being sarcastic, just nosey. Why would you need to log on twice with different credentials - or am on on the wrong track (again)?
Most of the sites I am on do not permit two registrations from the same IP address??

Reaction score
Most of the sites I am on do not permit two registrations from the same IP address??
This seems to be stupid if its true - Many families share the same IP and if logged into the same site would need different credentials per family member.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Yeah. You are right. I was still locked on my previous post using the same name!!

Reaction score
Hi! Ian, Just back from a holidays and looked at your idea..
Thanks Ian your solution works:)

Reaction score
Maybe the problem are the cookies

Ian is right. The cookie sessions are shared across the browser.