I survived Irene

Reaction score
Here on the Crystal Coast of NC the eye of Irene passed right over us. We made out ok with just some minor damage. Still a lot of power outages around here. I currently have power but no internet, cable tv or phone service. It seems that the main grid box took a direct lighting strike which set my neighbors houses to the right of me on fire...no SH** on fire, it melted all there commincations boxes on their houses. So I don't know when TWC will get to the main grid box, until then I'm wi-fi hacking....lol.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Stealing wifi, I guess we all do what we have to when survival mode kicks in :p

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I am glad that all is well with you and your family BF! You were on my mind these past few days for sure.

Having lived in Tulsa, OK for 25 years I've seen lightning do some very strange freaky things.

I hope things get back to normal for you soon.

All My Best to You and Yours! :top:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you made it through Irene in one piece - I hope that things start to return to normal soon :).

Reaction score
Update: I finally got all my cable services back on. I have cable tv, phone and internet again...I was going stark raving mad. On top of all this reconnections I had them install 2 brand new DVR's and a new cable modem/router...dual band and wireless N built right into this thing. Now the question is what do I do with my old/new router...Linksys E4200 dual band N router..

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Now the question is what do I do with my old/new router...Linksys E4200 dual band N router.
You might consider selling it on either eBay or Craigslist. I have sold some items on both and have received very equitable returns from my listings.

You could keep it in the event you ever have a need for it.

You could donate it to this organization: The Most Holy Righteous Sanctified Church of the Oort Cloud. Pastor: The Right Reverend Nibiru2012 :D

Reaction score
Amen Brother Nibiru2012!!! :lol:

I'm happy to hear everything is settling down for you bassfisher.

Reaction score
Twitter the international way to gossip. I can't follow three girls gossiping in the same room, how do you expect me to follow twitter?

After spending twenty minutes trying to figure out why they said "Irene was disappointing", I decided to stop. All the links at twitter are pointing at he said, she said, they said, and never leading anywhere.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
You could donate it to this organization: The Most Holy Righteous Sanctified Church of the Oort Cloud. Pastor: The Right Reverend Nibiru2012 :D
Sounds more like the Left Reverend. :p

Our soil absorb the 8 inches of rain pretty well. Thankfully the local creek did not flood. We lost power for 8 hours. We were very fortunate.

For anyone who thinks this was a mild storm because NYC didn't end up like New Orleans is ignorant.
Drive an hour in any direction from my place and you'll find small towns wiped out of existence from flood waters. Tell them Irene was over hyped. Relatives in CT won't get power back until next Wednesday, yes 10 days without. Tell them it was just a rain storm.

Glad you and your family are alright Bassman.

Reaction score
You know a good torrential Thunderstorm could do the same thing it does not a take a Hurricane. in fact new Orleans and surrounding area's may get 10 to 20 inches of rain this coming week from the current tropical depression Lee

Sounds more like the Left Reverend. :p

Our soil absorb the 8 inches of rain pretty well. Thankfully the local creek did not flood. We lost power for 8 hours. We were very fortunate.

For anyone who thinks this was a mild storm because NYC didn't end up like New Orleans is ignorant.
Drive an hour in any direction from my place and you'll find small towns wiped out of existence from flood waters. Tell them Irene was over hyped. Relatives in CT won't get power back until next Wednesday, yes 10 days without. Tell them it was just a rain storm.

Glad you and your family are alright Bassman.

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
What's your point?

Irene wasn't a hurricane when it hit here. Any storm that drops 10 or 20 inches of rain in a couple days will do damage. August was already wetter than normal before the tropical storm hit. Sometimes the storm hits hard and sometime it fizzles out, but I'm grateful for all the warnings so I can make the preparations I think are necessary.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
We lost power for only an hour and had a few branches off the trees but otherwise escaped unscathed.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Rain storms don't need a classification as such. Sometime they just go crazy!

In May 1984, a storm cell centered itself over Tulsa, OK where I was living at the time. The cell stalled and just kept rotating over Tulsa, in the space of 8 hours from 8PM til 4AM, it dropped 10-11 inches of rain! Worst flooding in over 50 years!