How to upgrade ram,processor,hdd on a laptop??

Reaction score
Hi folks,

i want to upgrade my lappi's RAM,Processor,HDD but want to know how to go about it??? What are the main points to remember,things to check as it might crash pc giving 1000 BSOD in a day...btw i also have my lappi's service manual but that doesn't give any information...:eek:

Thnx :D

Reaction score
Hi folks,

i want to upgrade my lappi's RAM,Processor,HDD but want to know how to go about it??? What are the main points to remember,things to check as it might crash pc giving 1000 BSOD in a day...btw i also have my lappi's service manual but that doesn't give any information...:eek:

Thnx :D
Check the bsod section of the forum for the sticky thread. I can help ya out.

Reaction score
Hahahaha Torrent my friend i'm actually not getting any BSOD....Ok i did checked the Sticky but that's all about BSOD (that's what i could find)...But by that line i was referring to the danger if any wrong hardware/no compatible hardware will cause BSOD...but i just want to know what are things to keep in mind i do use CPU-Z if that's what you are referring to but those information i have mentioned in my com spec of the forum....Thnx

Reaction score
And it'll be rude if i don't ask help from u & will proof myself as Dumb Ass...its always good to listen from people who know more then you...So sure i'll appreciate all your help & will be willingly answer all your question,if any... ;-)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
To update the processor what you do is go out and buy a new laptop.

Updating the RAM in a laptop depends on how much it can hold, how much is already in there, and if there is another slot available (Can you just add more to a free slot or must you remove everything and buy bigger ones). On some machines even finding and accessing where the chips are can be a hassle if there isn't an access door you may have to practically tear the computer open.

Updating the HD is generally an in/out procedure. You open the door and remove the old and slip in the new. If your computer came with an OEM copy of W7 then it is possible it won't reinstall because of the hardware change as these are supposedly locked to the hardware once installed (I haven't had this experience so I don't know if just changing out a HD would be an issue or not). But of course you will need your product key etc for a full install; you might try some form of cloning the harddrive but since you are having issues as is I would probably recommend the fresh install. Follow standard recommendations if doing this ... make back-ups, get drivers and software and all the keys, Easy transfer the data off and then install on new ... yada, yada.

Reaction score
Hmmmm TM buddy not planning to buy a new laptop bcz its a sere waste of hard earned money....But Thank you for that advice....for Processor i can get a new motherboard with a brand new processor...as far as RAM is concerned my current motherboard can hold upto 4Gb....HDD well that didn't came with any OEM (in India that's only with HP & DELL laptop but we can crack that too) so i guess that won't be a real problem...as i got all the req.drivers,keys for Win7,MS Office 2010...
i actually would say- the real problem is getting a new motherboard as others aren't my real problem bcz i wanna get AMD Phenom x4....as new motherboard need the same number of ports & output units or else wont fit in....

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Hmmmm TM buddy not planning to buy a new laptop bcz its a sere waste of hard earned money....But Thank you for that advice....for Processor i can get a new motherboard with a brand new processor...as far as RAM is concerned my current motherboard can hold upto 4Gb....HDD well that didn't came with any OEM (in India that's only with HP & DELL laptop but we can crack that too) so i guess that won't be a real problem...as i got all the req.drivers,keys for Win7,MS Office 2010...
i actually would say- the real problem is getting a new motherboard as others aren't my real problem bcz i wanna get AMD Phenom x4....as new motherboard need the same number of ports & output units or else wont fit in....
A new motherboard = new computer as far as MS is concerned.

So you have to pay for:

Motherboard
ram
processor
hard drive
windows key
probably more

and try not to break anything while trying to open your old laptop.

Here in the States, It is much cheaper and much much easier to buy a new laptop.

Reaction score
A new motherboard = new computer as far as MS is concerned.
actually, when i updated all my parts, which included a new mobo and new cpu, i didnt need a new key at all. im still on my original.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
There are only 2 RAM slots on the motherboard for the Acer Aspire 4530, so it looks like the maximum amount of RAM you can put in would be a total of 4 GB.

You should be able to upgrade to the following CPUs based on the motherboard's CPU socket and info from the Acer website:

AMD Turion X2 Ultra dual-core mobile technology ZM-80/ZM-82/ZM-84/ZM-86 (2 MB L2 cache, 2.10/2.20/2.40 GHz, DDR2 800 MHz) supporting AMD HyperTransport 3.0 technology

I would get the Turion X2 Ultra ZM-86 2.40 GHz CPU. I have seen it priced for about $130 to $160 USD on the web.

Here's a link for the higher priced one: https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.ph...-X2-Ultra-Mobile-ZM-86-2-4GHz-35W-2MB-CPU-OEM

RAM would be at an DDR2 800 MHz clock speed.

Here's a link for a 4 GB kit (2 X 2GB) modules for $72.99 w/free shipping. CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Laptop Memory Model VS4GSDSKIT800D2

Here's a Western Digital Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive for $59.99 w/$.99 shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136280

So it looks like for around $270 to 300 USD you can do what you're looking to do.

I hope this helps. Plus you'll need a Acer Aspire 4530 tech manual on how to change the CPU and hard drive. The RAM is real easy to change out.

This is the link to the PDF format Service Manual for you to view and download:
http://tim.id.au/laptops/acer/aspire 4530 4230.pdf

P.S.
I apologize for some of the "not so positive" replies here. What you are wanting to do CAN BE DONE and won't affect your Windows 7 product key as long it not an OEM key. IF it is an OEM key you may have to phone MS Windows Tech support to get a new validation code but other than that it should be... easy peasy, lemon squeezy. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thnx buddy for all the info. that you have collected but i wanna know moving to Turion x4 from Athlon x2 is that gonna be better??:confused:?? I have used Turion & not much happy with it that's the reason i went with Athlon since Phenom was just launched only desktop & i couldn't wait...:(

As far as RAM is concerned i mentioned that i can upgrade to 4Gb as u confirmed...Thnx for additional specs for the same...:)

Any 500Gb HDD 7200 rpm available for this model??? I do have the service manual & have recently opened my lappi also it looks great as compared to our Hugh & Gigantic Desktop....since use of opening lappi from my days at EDS but its always a great feeling....The reason to get the manual was to check to till what extent i can stretch my lappi but it doesn't have much info.,but will check it again....:D

Reaction score
Nibiru2012 pricing is quiet low in terms of $ ;) but Man if i get them shipped then it'll cost me additional 100$ (not shipping charges but import duties & other taxes & charges) making the budget of a brand new lappi for me...:rolleyes:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What you are wanting to do CAN BE DONE and won't affect your Windows 7 product key as long it not an OEM key. IF it is an OEM key you may have to phone MS Windows Tech support to get a new validation code but other than that it should be... easy peasy, lemon squeezy. ;)
I wasn't aware you could upgrade CPUs and motherboards in laptops but if Nibs says it is possible then you could do it but as you mentioned it may well cost you the price of a new laptop which sort of defeats the point.

And I did mention my concern if the W7 came from OEM disks or was preinstalled by the manufacturer but it sounds like Nibs has answered that plus you have said it is not an OEM license. Yes, they make 500GB 5400RPM 2.5" harddrives for laptops, the WD Scorpio Blue for example.

BTW, I used to work for EDS in Detroit, Michigan USA supporting General Motors financial staff.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
So far as going to the Turion x4, I am not sure about that. As long as it uses the same AMD socket type and the BIOS on the notebook's motherboard supports it you should be okay. I did not see any quad-core processors listed at the Acer website for your model of notebook though, so it may not be possible to do it.

Regarding the hard drive for the laptop, any 2.5" hard drive will work, 5400 or 7200 RPM. So a 500 GB 7200 RPM drive will work just fine, but I would recommend either a Western Digital, Samsung or a Fujitsu. Seagate's reliability has been suffering lately.

If you have a friend in the States, perhaps they can purchase what you need and have them shipped to you under a label of say... books or linens or whatever.

Last edited:
Reaction score
BTW, I used to work for EDS in Detroit, Michigan USA supporting General Motors financial staff.
Wow that's great m8 & colleague :beer:
I was supporting Kraft (Network & server incl. VPN & handheld users), We had GM SAP support.:cool:

Reaction score
So far as going to the Turion x4, I am not sure about that. As long as it uses the same AMD socket type and the BIOS on the notebook's motherboard supports it you should be okay. I did not see any quad-core processors listed at the Acer website for your model of notebook though, so it may not be possible to do it.

Regarding the hard drive for the laptop, any 2.5" hard drive will work, 5400 or 7200 RPM. So a 500 GB 7200 RPM drive will work just fine, but I would recommend either a Western Digital, Samsung or a Fujitsu. Seagate's reliability has been suffering lately.

If you have a friend in the States, perhaps they can purchase what you need and have them shipped to you under a label of say... books or linens or whatever.
I know its just i love AMD since 1999. But 7200rpm is better then 5400. Yeah that's sad Seagate is loosing on the game (Ohh my old employer) I have a Fujitsu but will go for WD its better then others...btw Nibiru could help me with the link for acer website that these details (damn when i check their website can't seem to find any such info)

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I know its just i love AMD since 1999. But 7200rpm is better then 5400. Yeah that's sad Seagate is loosing on the game (Ohh my old employer) I have a Fujitsu but will go for WD its better then others...btw Nibiru could help me with the link for acer website that these details (damn when i check their website can't seem to find any such info)
No problem, here's a link to their support webpage for your notebook: http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/notebook/0000/Acer/Aspire4530/Aspire4530sp2.shtml

Here's a link for more info on the CPU used in your notebook, it is a good read: http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Turion-X2-Ultra-Notebook-Processor.10129.0.html

The CPU you want to upgrade to uses the AMD S1g2 (generation 2) socket. It appears as if there are no quad-core CPUs designed to fit that socket from AMD.

Reaction score
Nibiru thank you for the info & links.
i want to know which 1 out of the 2 is faster & better in performance - Athlon x2 x64 or Turion x2 x64 ???:confused:
Also i want to know can i go for Phenom x2 x64 on the same CPU???:D

Reaction score
Haahahhaha :D :)
That was a good suggestion but nope i got no friends in US except my w7forum friends.;)
But that's Ok i'll have to make some adjustment on that to get the best deals here. Thnx
:D

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Nibiru thank you for the info & links.
i want to know which 1 out of the 2 is faster & better in performance - Athlon x2 x64 or Turion x2 x64 ???:confused:
Also i want to know can i go for Phenom x2 x64 on the same CPU???:D
The Turion X2 X64 is the better of the two CPUs.

Your notebook's chipset is a few years old and the chipset probably doesn't support the Phenom-based CPU.

Ask a Question