have a good laugh

Reaction score
hello everyone -anyone

I am a total beginner with Windows 7 - I am lost with the bibliothek and have never even used an explorer ... (I know things from windows 95 ... things were so easy in the old days) -

so the first thing you can have a laugh about is that my desktop has somehow landed in a folder called downloaded games --I tried deleting it but half my desktop vanished (since recovered from the trash) -- and windows had reinstalled a new desktop in my games folder ... (I have never downloaded or even played a game on this comp!)

also there is ANOTHER desktop let us call it number1 ... in the explorer's left window ... and this contains EVERYTHING (except an empty favourites folder) ... in this is a folder with the user - rob and here we have desktop2 and also downloaded games with also desktop2 and a folder ACER (the computer) and a folder "user" with another folder "rob" and naturally another desktop2 ...!

...I presume that I got something wrong -...

none of the desktop2 folders seem to be an alias - Im in the position of most confused people .. :I dont even know the right questions to ask ... I believe its a problem Im having withn the explorer rather than the new library feature ...

anyone feel like helping? -I will now log off and try and save my suffering brain

thanks- rob

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hi 123rob! Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website.

First thing I would do is to do a system restore back to the time prior you started having a problem with the desktop.

Did you buy the computer with Windows 7 already installed or did you install it yourself?

Could you give us some more information, please? Thanks!

Reaction score
so its hello Nibiru !

thanks for your quick reply ... now some 6 hrs later ....

a friend installed W7 for me - but now he is lost with the explorer as well -

I had been looking around for info:

I deleted the contents of favourites myself - because a few people were saying favourites and libraries are the same ...

I have a new notebook - with an oversensitive mouse pad ... so often I find I drag and drop folders in wierd and wonderful places - so it is probably my own flink fingers to blame ---- and it must be reversible or understandable - otherwise I feel I would do it all again ...

I must reduce the obsessive element - (try) - so please excuse while I log off for a few hours - thanks - rob

Reaction score
welcome to w7 forums 123Rob you will find out all you need to know at this website,it's 100% awesome members are very helpful,friendly,& above all knowledgeable in areas we all need help.I have used computers for over 20 years & still require help,guidence & support.This site has it all & then some.

Enjoy,learn & earn

regards
jeffreyobrien

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
false advertising! this thread isn't funny.

I would say this is probably why they have the hide system files feature and User Account Control. Did your friend disable UAC, otherwise you shouldn't be able to move around system folders without confirmation, if at all.

At this point I would worry just how much is FUBARed and just reinstall fresh.

Reaction score
have a good cry?

well thank you for responses

I am sorry if my advertising was misleading - it is perhaps a personal advice rather than to disappear in a flurry of hair tearing rage --- whether an hyterical fit of laughter is better ...?

The UAC was the problem - and I never even knew the word.
I checked it and its at 2 thirds - (standard setting only notify of canges made by programmes - dont tell me when I make changes on windows - ) - (Im translating from German so the exact wording is lost)

so this is what allows the mess to happen --- if Ive got it messed up like it now is -surely its possible to get it back ... (For someone good if they could see it personally)

(reinstalling windows means I have to go to Birmingham from Hamburg to get dreamweaver and other programmes reinstalled ...)

hide sytem files -changes nothing

the problem as I see it now is that the explorer doesnt allow me to move anything

its all very similar to the normal explorer set up - except that it all folds back into this big "desktop" folder - when I try to move anything - I get the no entry sign

and the second "rob" folder which must be an alias I tried deleting but cant

this is the present stage of life for me - and now its time for a cuppa
cheers - rob

Reaction score
Hi rob 123,
from Germany,my friend has anyone told you that you can restore your system back to when it was working well after the install of win7.I am sure you already realise this,I can also advise you that the very best thing to do is the fresh clean format & install it again.I do understand the problem you can download the RTM Ultimate still if you have not got your w7 DVD.it's better than traveling as far as you have mentioned to get it,anyway you have my contact if I can assist you remotely just email me I will be happy to assist you to get you up and configured correctly.

have a great weekend
respectfully
jeffreyobrien

Reaction score
phew,

you know I was putting sites up in 1990s --- probably before some of the wizz kids here were born ... then came nervous breakdown areas ... then basicly lost touch ... now, --- everything is new and I must admit I get worn out if I try too much at one session ... so I looked at the buddy page ... but simply dont understand a thing ... so if you want to find my profile and email me then go ahead .. for me its just another problem

Ok ---so thats 3 people now telling me to re install ... you reckon I can do this alone -!????

I have my doubts ...

I am going to my birmingham next month -- I have a couple of people there who work with computers!! ----... ???

let me please confirm - even though it might sound stupid - but ... when I reinstall windows .. does this mean I need to reinstall every other programme and naturally make a copy of my personal data?

cheers rob

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
let me please confirm - even though it might sound stupid - but ... when I reinstall windows .. does this mean I need to reinstall every other programme and naturally make a copy of my personal data?
That's an affirmative on that one 123rob!

You'll have to download all the necessary drivers for the hardware you currently have beforehand, then store the drivers on a thumb drive, or external hard drive.

Sounds like you're getting flustered about this. Perhaps it would be best for you to wait until you get to Birmingham where you have those two contacts who would help you out.

Reaction score
did you say flustered?
rather more I turn into a freaked out hairy loony (its a long story) .... and then I have to laugh (symptom of a deeper mania?)

its a problem I have - Im not proud of it - just old enough to call all this modern technology ... it was so easy in the old days - I find that fascinating as well ... all those ten years ago ....

anyway I would thank you ALL for general advices and now wait patiently till Daddy comes home and takes care of it all for me.

I mean Im online with a flat rate 20euro with no telephone line ... I can take videos of me and rejoice in my ego ... I can enjoy Utube ... what more can a guy want from modern science?

cheers rob ...

Reaction score
Windows 7 Support > have a good laugh >

That's an affirmative on that one 123rob!

You'll have to download all the necessary drivers for the hardware you currently have beforehand, then store the drivers on a thumb drive, or external hard drive.

Sounds like you're getting flustered about this. Perhaps it would be best for you to wait until you get to Birmingham where you have those two contacts who would help you out.
That's an affirmative on that one 123rob! you can even make some backup & driver DVDs before you do the re install take Nibiru2012's advice as you do sound flustered & that can make it all the more frustrating without your software.
Good Luck & remember the offer is always there if you get Really flustered :confused::eek::(:confused:
Good Luck 123rob!
respectfully
jeffreyobrien

Reaction score
actually the solution is now quite simple -- the same friend here can install it again (if I beg nicely) and this time I will look over his shoulder and check the UACs

and i am afraid the cursor has just stopped working on this page ... could only happen to me ...(insane laugh) ... there are a number of other small idiotic things and I may well contact you privately jeffrey ..

thanks again everyone he says waving back and riding horse into sunset

Ask a Question