SOLVED Getting new hard drive/installing new OS?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So you don't have a SATA or eSATA connection available and the PCIe is a mini and is likely in use.

In that case use the USB connection for the dock rather than esata until you rebuild. I would still buy the esata&usb version rather than usb-only so you are ready for the future.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Your computer is an HP-MS214 which has the Capirona motherboard. The specifications state that the computer has a "Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g mini-card". This would be a Mini PCIe card using that card slot. What you are working to do can only be done through the connector for the HDD. It can be done but in the long run probably will not be worth it. All-in-one computer's were designed to save space, not for hardware expansion. The hobby that you have taken is pushing you to building a PC because in all honesty there are things that cannot be done with Laptops or All-in-one PC's.

That is the diagram of my MB, and I believe that you're right. Slimline desktops are fantastic for quick setup and easy portability from room to room. Yes, it has the built in b/n wireless connection, but I already had one (a b/g/n Ralink USB powered one) which is much better, and can take advantage of "N" based routers. Where my built in connection only showed 4 bars at only 20 feet from the router, the Ralink shows the full five bars, even from my surrounding neighbors.

What kicked off this project was the upgrading of my RAM, and the installation of the 750GB Caviar Black, it kind of inspired me that if I could do that, I could do even more. And I can. There is room for a processor upgrade (the Athlon X2 3250e), to a more recent, faster one, that won't cost much. There are a few choices. But my options are severely limited by my power source, a notebook style power cable.

No matter what I do, the most that I can hope to accomplish with this one, is mainly already done. I need to install that 1TB Seagate, use the Caviar Black as extra storage, and run Linux on (once I receive the replacement one). It's not supposed to be noisy, and it's WD's job to make that right.

I still would like to build a computer, but as those with experience knows, it takes time, which I have an abundance of (when I feel good), it also takes cash, which is not what it once was around here. The best that I can do is what I did to get this one, start stashing cash in a shoe box. $50 a month adds up over time. Hopefully, by the time that I'm ready, the 128 bit computers will be here, and an abundance of parts will be available on Newegg to build one with.

At least I'll probably won't have to buy a hard drive when the time comes, if I keep seeing these good deals, and can't resist enough to delete the ad, before my impulse takes over.

Cat

Reaction score
These two items will allow you to convert the internal SATA Data connector to a external SATA connector. Use the coupler to change the gender on the motherboard. Then use the bracket to convert the internal to an external connector. After which you can use any eSATA Hard Drive Enclosure as a replacement for the internal drive you took out.

Two items:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
But I don't even see the internal sata, where is that in the picture?

& where would he even put a bracket, I don't see any slots as it doesn't support any boards except that mini?

Reaction score
The HDD Connector in the bottom left. The Hard Drive plugs directly into the motherboard. Thats why the connector needs to change genders before a cable will connect. As far as the bracket goes, well that will either dangle in the breeze or cat can mount it to the HDD cover on the back of the All-in-one somehow. To be honest normally I would never mention such a procedure, however It was asked if it can be done.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who contributed to my thread, it has helped me a lot in making a decision as to what to do. After careful review of everything, and the fact that my new hard drive just arrived, I've decided not to mess with extra drive boxes and all of the parts to plug it in with.

My Samsung drive just arrived, that is plenty (1GB), most likely I'll never come close to filling it up. That will be my main drive.

The Caviar Black, once it's repaired or replaced (at WD's choosing) will be installed in the drive case that I already have, and run from one of the side mounted USB ports (the enhanced ones). That's plenty good enough to use for extra backup space, and run Linux on. On my notebook, it runs faster than the drive that's installed within it. I have to agree with C_C, this all in one was not built for easy expansion of parts, but ease of setup & use.

I do have a couple of other upgrade possibilities, a processor upgrade (which is possible, according to HP), and considering going with a 512MB video card, rather than the 256MB one that I already have. That is, if I can upgrade the video card. It may be integrated into the MB, making it hard to do.

It is a better computer than it was when I received it, due to RAM & hard drive upgrades, I just have to learn to accept that the computer as what it is. It does run really good, the best that I've ever had. Hopefully, it'll stay that way for quite some time.

Cat

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK Cat.

Clifford, I think this would do both. But I can't be sure without seeing the ends - one would assume it is the female esata in the bracket and male sata at the end of the loose cable but you can never be sure.

And here is one without the actual bracket.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Cat, I apologize for any confusion I may have caused you. You may think of your computer as a desktop but your All-In-One is built and behaves very much like a laptop and I was unaware of that about your hardware. It does not take standard PCI or PCI-e boards at all so your most likely option to support multiple HDDs is an external port multiplier unit as Clifford suggested a few months back. I apparently didn't read the info at the time or forgot it since.

Does your case/monitor combo have an actual slot for a bracket? If it doesn't, I am thinking the one I linked to without the bracket would be a great solution to create an esata connection, combined with clifford's port multiplier bay (or in the interum a single drive esata dock like I have). You would have to cut an opening in your case with an exacto knife for the rectangular patch where the esata is and drill two holes for the screws that hold it in place - but doing a case mod and using tools is ARGHHH ARGHHH man fun.
CatsHP.jpg

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks TrainableMan, I believe that with the 1TB Samsung, I don't really need to go through all of this trouble. Especially with an all in one. Now, I realize the major difference between the two, as Clifford pointed out, they aren't built for expansion. They are built for convenience, fast setup, portability and so on.

But one of the reasons that I decided on an all in one, is that the bank that I deal with has them, only theirs has much thicker cases. I did buy a budget model, but some of these goes for over $1600 (from HP), that's customized.

I was also looking at the specs of the finished connection, the eSATA port only delivered 1.5 Gb/sec, whereas the hard drive in it's proper place runs at 3.0 Gb/sec, so I seen it as a lot of work to go in reverse. Clifford was right in his suggestion of parts & instructions, I asked if it could be done, and he showed me how to. But after much consideration, especially the build & performance of the computer, and the potential drop in speed, I decided it's a waste of time, energy, and in the end, what performance that I do have may be comprised.

When I bought this computer, I wanted to get away from XP Pro after using it almost exclusively from early 2002 through late 2009. About a month before my purchase, I began looking, with my budget in mind, and an article in PC World led me to the three best of the $500-$750 range. One was a Dell, that was out for me (for personal reasons), a Toshiba (the one that I should have bought), and this one. This one was rated as the best of the three, and since I seen them at the bank, after waiting for a sale (I registered with HP for promos), one arrived, knocking $120 off the price and I jumped.

At the time, I didn't intend for working on and playing around with computers, just wanted something new, that I never had before. After the purchase, or around the time, I joined this forum. I read many posts on here where others had done much to make their computer better & faster for them, and with nothing to do, it inspired me to do the same. And actually, I have done so. I upgraded my RAM from 2GB to 4GB, making it load & run faster, upgraded my hard drive from 320GB, first to 750GB, now 1TB. Bought a nice all in one printer (Kodak ESP 3250) that prints great pictures, as good as the ones you get elsewhere, and is easy on ink refills. I would like a faster processor, but it'll have to wait until early next year (it'll be Christmas before we know it).

Also, I'm going to be sending the Caviar Black back to WD for a replacement, the side USB ports is fast enough to run Linux on, so I'll use it for that, and extra storage, along with the Seagate FreeAgent (500GB) that I recently bought new. As well as a really nice computer desk that came with a built in power supply, with switches for each component, locking doors, in the upper middle, a place specially made for CD & DVD storage, and a slide out place above where the chair rolls in for extra usage.

Looking back at this time last year (2009), all that I had was two wore out notebooks (one has passed since) and a five year old printer that I bought on eBay (it was new, in the sealed box, but it was a 2004 model). And a new computer with Windows 7 was only a dream. But mid November last year, that began to change for the better, and looking back, I've came a long way since. Where it not for this forum, I may not have done some things that I've accomplished.

So instead of trying push everything that I have to the max, I would be better off enjoying what I have, and putting aside for the future. Then, I'll know what I have, because I'll build it myself, from scratch. And I'll have eSATA ports when I'm done, as many as I want.:D

This thread is solved.:)

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
So instead of trying push everything that I have to the max, I would be better off enjoying what I have, and putting aside for the future. Then, I'll know what I have, because I'll build it myself, from scratch. And I'll have eSATA ports when I'm done, as many as I want.:D
That's the best thing you could do. Believe me, you won't regret it and will have a far superior system to anything you've ever owned before.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I collect miniature trains, mostly domestic (Amtrak, PRR) and foreign (TGV, Eurostar, TEE, Orient Express) passenger trains and circus/carnival but a few freight, primarily name brands Coca-Cola, Purina, Hersheys. But the one you see in my avatar is the Mark Twain Pioneer Zephyr, late version with raised mars headlights. This is the pride of my collection. When I lost my job in 2001 I had one of these on order with a $200 deposit for almost a year. When they finally were produced and shipped from Korea, rather than loose the deposit, I paid off the remaining $1200. As the months went on still unemployed I decided to sell it on eBay and after eBay fees I actually made $1 profit but the $1400 was enough to pay my mortgage, utilities, etc for one more month. The thing was, a new job never did turn up and I ended up loosing the house anyway and over the years I regretted loosing my Mark Twain Zephyr more than I did the house. They made several versions of the Zephyr but the 4 car version with the cars named after Mark Twain's famous characters Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, Becky Thatcher, and the engine, Injun Joe, combined with the raised Mars light is extremely rare. In fact this year Is the first one I had seen since I sold mine almost 9 years ago (it's of course possible I missed one listed over the years but I like to think not). I didn't let it get away; in fact I was lucky enough to pay about $200 less than I had originally sold mine. When it arrived it was in perfect condition just as mine was when it left.

So I guess my point, if I had a point at all, is that sometimes we do what we have to do, making the best with what we have and hoping something great is just around the corner and what is important, while wishing and planning for the future, is to try and be grateful for what we have now.

I have seen those computers, the All-in-one like you have, in restaurants they often use something similar with a touch screen, and I think they look pretty cool. Space-wise etc they look very convenient. As you and Clifford noted they weren't really meant for expansion and you must admit your hobby of attempting to run every non-Mac OS ever invented is unusual for ANY model computer. Personally I think you should be considering the Hackintosh as your next OS adventure but maybe that's just me projecting, you follow your own dream :)

I have never actually completed a train layout, I've started a few, enough to run a few trains around at a time, but not adding the trees, buildings etc. It would probably take me more years than I have left to assemble all the buildings and circus/carnival rides. But unlike a computer I don't really need to. I can get my trains out and set them all over the living room floor, still in their boxes (actually the last time I did this I filled the floor three times from wall to wall to display everything). And from this image of them laid out across the floor I can build 2 or 3 layouts that span the entire basement, all in my head. This gives me great pleasure and they run smoother and never derail and I don't have to tear out the mountain to fix a loose wire or watch it get dusty while I'm assembling the buildings.

I don't know that the Toshiba would have made you any happier. If it did all the things you want then what would you have to look forward to? And maybe that first issue that brought you here wouldn't have happened and you would have never met us - talk about a real tragedy :p ! There are few things in my life I regret, not because I have made the perfect decisions but because I figure they got me here and though things aren't great, they aren't as bad as they could be. I'm glad you are happy were you are with your computer while you can still dream of the better one you will build.

Guess that's enough preaching for this Sunday; all of you have a wonderful day!

Ask a Question