Gangland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
One of my favorite all time games Gangland will not work with windows vista so I bought windows 7..... Still dosent work, I spent over 2,500 to get a good performing comp and I cant even play some of my favorite games someone plz help

I have
Cyberpower pc
12 gig ddr3 ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX295 1.7GB 16X PCIe Video Card
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel I7 Processor

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
From what I can find, Gangland has the following requirements:
Windows 98 or higher; Pentium III; Geforce 2 (32MB) or higher; RAM: 128MB

Obviously you have much more than this but I find running older games in Windows 7 can be tricky.

Have you tried installing the game using Compatibility mode?

When you say "wont work" do you get an error message on install or when you run the game? What exactly happens.

I've also noted there are a few patched for the game, have you tried installing them?

Reaction score
I guess I'll just pick up where the op left off instead of starting a new thread.

I can't get the game to work either. I used to play it all the time on my old Windows XP 32-bit machine.

My system specs:

Intel C2D E8400
Gigabyte P45 UD3P
2x2GB Mushkin PC 6400
XFX 8800 Ultra
WD Caviar Black 1TB HD
OCZ 700W PSU.
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

The problem: It seems as if the game installs just fine, but then asks me to reboot my machine everytime I click to start the game. No matter how many times I restart, it always asks me to restart again...

I have downloaded the latest 1.4 patch and installed that but the same problem persists. I have also tried running the program in Windows XP compatibility mode to no avail.

Any help is very much appreciated, let me know if you need any more information.

-mello

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I wonder if the install needs to run in Administrator Mode? Right click the game install exe and select Run as Administrator and see if that fixes it.

Reaction score
That didn't do the trick either. It still asks me to reboot the machine every time.

I actually figured out a way to run it, it's not the way I had hoped, but it's running nonetheless. I picked up a cracked exe and that seems to have bypassed the security altogether. If anything this has confirmed my belief that the game is installed correctly, but for some reason the protection is hiccuping.

Let's try to figure it out with the original .exe, do you have any more ideas?

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Seeing how the crack bypassed the security and the game now runs then it seems to me that when the game is installed it must connect to the internet to verify you have a valid copy(???) I would check your Firewall to see if it is blocking anything having to do with the game. If you don't see anything your recognize I guess you could try diabling your Firewall for just when you install the game to see what happens.

Reaction score
Sorry for reviving a really old Thread, but I felt it's better than creating a completley new.

I seem to have the same problem, my specs are:

NZXT Guardian 921 Mid Tower
Windows 7 64-bit
Intel C2Q E8400 @ 2.66GHz
eVGA GeForce 8800GTX
4Gb DDR2 RAM
750Gb HDD

Seeing how the crack bypassed the security and the game now runs then it seems to me that when the game is installed it must connect to the internet to verify you have a valid copy(???) I would check your Firewall to see if it is blocking anything having to do with the game. If you don't see anything your recognize I guess you could try diabling your Firewall for just when you install the game to see what happens.
I really doubt that this game is attempting to connect the Internet. As a Disc- and a Serial Key is provided within the CD/DVD-Case. And none of them are entered during the installation, I do remember running this on my old PC, but not when I entered the Keys, probably the first time running it, not sure.

Anyhow, I'm not familiar with the RegEdit but I did find these;
• (Default) REG_SZ (valute not set) //Probably the Key(s)
• Installed REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1) //No idea what this is.
• InstallPath REG_SZ E:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMobsters\ // Obvious.

Maybe there's some editing in here that can be done to bypass the need to Reboot? As I couldn't find anything else that is related to Gangland that contains data if the Game should request a Reboot or not.

Any ideas?

I'll try to install this on my Dad's PC (Windows XP 32-Bit) and I'll take a look, to see if I can find any differences.

Sincerely,
Dealman

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've done a lot of searching on this and can't see a fix for it anywhere. :(

Do you get any messages before it reboots, or is it very sudden?

You could always try running a virtual install of XP within VirtualBox (which supports 3D acceleration, IIRC). This would allow you to run the game, but it's far from an ideal solution.

Reaction score
I've done a lot of searching on this and can't see a fix for it anywhere. :(

Do you get any messages before it reboots, or is it very sudden?

You could always try running a virtual install of XP within VirtualBox (which supports 3D acceleration, IIRC). This would allow you to run the game, but it's far from an ideal solution.
I don't get any message before it reboots, only the one posted earlier; Where it tells me the "Protection Drivers are installed" and if I'd like to reboot to finish the installation.

I'll try a few things and see if I can find a fix.

EDIT:

I tried installing this on a Windows XP 32-Bit computer, and it worked like a charm. However I did not find any differences except for a new value in the Registry(Serial-Key).

I tried copying to this W7 64-Bit computer, without success. I'll see if there's a workaround, except for using cracked .exes, that is.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Where did you find the crack exe? It seems to be the only way around that problem.

Reaction score
Gangland Windows 7 FIX

Hello, I just encounterd this problem today after I got the game. When I saw someone post about a crack working ages ago, I tought there would be a fix aswell, for the retail game.

And there is. I dont think this is a common problem anymore tho, but patch the game up. That will fix some of the broken gameplay (just some).

I found my fix for Gangland on www.megagames.com but I bet you could find it on any gamingsite that deals with fixes cheats and cracks realy. But a fix.exe works charms on the retale verson! Happy gaming. Nerf the cpu!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question