Folding with GTS 450

Reaction score
Requirements
Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 22 Amps.)
12Volts * 22Amps = 264Watts (this does not include the 5V and 3.3V power)

I've slightly overclocked both CPU and GPU with a low grade 450W power supply. I don't have a 6pin connector on this PSU and had to use the supplied adapter. I think I should invest in a higher grade PSU but for now this one is working fine as far as I can tell.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Very interesting!

It seems you must add the -advmethods flag to receive these WU's. Can I assume this?

I certainly don't want one of these burning up my fan-less cheapo 5450.

Reaction score
It seems you must add the -advmethods flag to receive these WU's. Can I assume this?
Yes this flag did enable and disable downloading those units. However the 6800 has since been released to the general public (In other words not a beta unit). You can still avoid the 6811 by disabling the advmethods flag. These WU's if I'm not mistaken are strickly for Fermi. ATI Radeon cards fold a whole different set of WU's.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Wow

Geezums H Christmas!

I really like folding with the Fermi card. Earlier today GPU completed a WU in 90 minutes and credited 900+ points.

Reaction score
Hey yodap, I can't tell just yet but it seems you have a good chance at taking the top PPD producing spot. Thats nice I am happy to see a 30K PPD average for the team. :)

Reaction score
CC, I don't know how I'm gonna catch up now!
Hey Yodap

I was looking at this old thread and wondering, how are things going with your GTS 450?

I must say, I have not had any issues with my purchase. I'm even OC'd a small amount from 822MHz to 900MHz.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Hi c_c

It has pretty much been crunching away since I got it, about 30 days ago. I have had zero issues wit it. I got the Gigabyte GV-N450OC2-1GI and it was one of the highest stock clocks out of the box in the GTS 450 series @ 930 MHz. I haven't thought about OCing it any more yet. :)

Clearly, a good video card is the best and fastest way to complete WU's and rack up points/credits.

The quad core is also folding without any issues.

On the other hand, I bought a few things to resurrect my dual core E3300. This machine is a nice one in all respects except that it has trouble completing about 1 folding job in 3 or 4. No freezes crashes or bsod's. the extra 2000 ppd I can get from this one is, I believe, the reason my ppd is slightly more than yours at the moment.

All in all, I'm in a pretty happy place with my folding. Maybe later this year a new killer machine may start to take shape.:D

Happy New Year to all folders and everyone at W7Forums.

Attachments

Reaction score
All in all, I'm in a pretty happy place with my folding. Maybe later this year a new killer machine may start to take shape.:D

Happy New Year to all folders and everyone at W7Forums.
Happy New Folding Year!! :D

A new machine LOL

Yeah I've been thinking about one also. I'm gonna look into the new Intel machines coming out this month. However I'm on no hurry to make a decision. I am quite happy with my machine that I have now. :)

Intel's Sandy Bridge

Ask a Question