FCC backs allowing providers to screw their high-volume customers

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I've changed absolutely nothing and this is what it says midday.
Well, you are going to a different server but still not very far away so that seems really weird. Nevertheless, it does show that your local side is good.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I don't know if it would help your situation or not, but I treated all my modem ports, router ports and ethernet cable plugs with DeoxIT ProGold contact enchancer / cleaner. It helped.

When I had a DSL connection I also used a braided shielded cable from the phone jack to the modem to cut down on any EFI / EMI problems.

I am sure Digs may or may not disagree with me, but it did stabilize my connection quite a bit since I had a plethora of cables running around near that DSL cable.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I am sure Digs may or may not disagree with me
I absolutely agree!

You don't have to pay ridiculous prices for over-priced luxury brand cables, but you do need quality cables with quality, properly assembled/attached connectors to minimize interference problems. Contact cleaner is not normally needed unless the contacts have been exposed to the elements, cigarette smoke, skin oils, etc., but it can't hurt (though some will "eat" some plastics). Often, just careful unplugging and plugging of the connectors a couple times is enough to scrape the contacts clean of dust to allow a proper mechanical connection which, in turn, provides a proper electrical connection.

That said, connections do wear out. The female RJ-45 (Ethernet) jacks have spring-tensioned tines that mate with the male contacts of the cable connectors. If the tension gets weak, the mechanical connection may get weak. And cable connections are easily damaged by physical abuse.

And shielding can also be essential if you live in an electrically "noisy" environment - depending on the wire. Audio and video cables need good shielding but network cable (CAT-5e and CAT-6 Ethernet cable for example) is UTP - unshielded twisted pair, and does not. You don't need shielding with UTP because the twists causes the wires to cross over each other at pre-determined intervals, which cancels out any interference that may be induced in the cable. But UTP cables MUST be properly terminated with good connectors, properly attached.

Common sources of interference are AC cables so I always run my power cables up one side of my desk and data cables up the other. I separate my power and audio/video cables behind my home theater system in a similar fashion. Fluorescent lights, microwave ovens, wireless phones, and other wireless devices can create interference.

One of the best ways to eliminate, or at least minimize interference is to ensure your home and/or office wall outlets are properly wired and grounded (Earthed). I recommend all computer users - actually anybody who plugs anything into a wall - test their wall outlets with a AC Outlet/Ground Fault Indicator Tester. They come in all shapes and sizes for the type outlet and voltages in your area.

Reaction score
Often, just careful unplugging and plugging of the connectors a couple times is enough to scrape the contacts clean of dust to allow a proper mechanical connection which, in turn, provides a proper electrical connection.
I mentioned something along these lines about memory modules. I was promptly told, I needed to go back to school and learn how to seat memory properly the first time.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I mentioned something along these lines about memory modules. I was promptly told, I needed to go back to school and learn how to seat memory properly the first time.
Well, the thing about memory modules is the connections are fairly permanent. That is, you are not inserting and pulling modules all the time, and once inserted, the connection is tight so dust and dirt does not get in. So you don't normally need to clean the connections once properly installed - even after considerable time has passed - assuming the modules and slots were clean from the start. And if they were not properly installed, you would be having problems from the start. With cable connections, they are some times connected and disconnect frequently which can introduce dirt and grime, but also, internal case fans tend to suck dust in through those connections too.

If a memory module has been on the shelf for month or years, with the connections exposed to dust, it might benefit from being scraped clean - though I think a clean pencil erasure works best for that - as long I take care not to zap the module with static.

Ask a Question