Driver for Canon ip1500 printer?

Reaction score
Sorry, but all my drivers are absolutely up to date. I even flashed to the latest motherboard bios (for no improvment) MSI KN9 Platinium motherboard.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If you don't want to believe Microsoft's website and the canon download & support page then I suggest you contact canon support because there is nothing we can do to help you, your mind is already set.
Thanks TM! I couldn't have said it any better myself! Stubborn sot, isn't he?

"Success is the ability to solve an actual problem at hand" and not from a distance.
We have gone above and beyond trying to help you and you're being not very dinkum, as you Aussies would say.

You're response to TrainableMan was uncalled for and vitriolic to say the least!

We have given you the proof that your printer is compatible with Windows 7 but apparently you can't see the proverbial forest for the trees!

As far as I'm concerned, you're on your own now. :bootyshake:

Reaction score
"Stubborn isn't he" Now that's an Insult so Ease up! And did I say I'm a 'he' ???

I'm the one with the printer here and what? ...I'm 'stubbornly" refusing to install the 'driver' YOU think will work??? Do you have an ip1500 printer so you know for sure what your talking about? No, I bet you don't.

I have tried all recommendations here so far and none of them have worked and it's not as if I'm a computer noob either! I build all my own computers from the ground up (6 so far) and build quite a few for friends too., I've been doing that since windows 98 when XP was still on the microsoft's drawing board. Just because a forum member is new, it does not make them a computer dill.

If you have a link to a driver please provide it and no, not to a driver
"add-on" or an 'update' to a driver that only works on XP either, as I've already tried both those options (and quite a few computer and driver tricks that no one here has even thought off} ...all several times by the way.

Please have the manners to at least fully read my posts, to save me the trouble of repeating things I've already said that do not work!.

Last edited:
Reaction score
(and quite a few computer and driver tricks that no one here has even thought off} ...all several times by the way.
Unless you're actually talking about writing a driver yourself, you'd have a really difficult time pulling that off. Not trying to be arrogant and I always love to learn new things, but there's not much room for improvement here when it comes to drivers, manipulating them and such. Or even finding them in the proper places.

I write custom .infs for video drivers for users when needed, usually for notebooks or AGP cards.

That being said, I don't think anyone is treating anyone else unfairly. You came here for help and we say that best we could figure not owning the hardware ourselves. Since it hasn't run well, then I'd say you're the most responsible since you do have the hardware.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the effort mate! All that googling and copy and pasting must take it's toll. Lol. Lol

No one even mentioned the simple driver trick of right clicking a driver/properties/compatibility/ select "run in compatibility for Vista" (sadly, there was no W7 option for my latest driver) and THEN trying to install the driver. A fairly basic piece of driver advice that often works a treat. No joy though.

Your latest recommendations:

ulr No.1
Sites flogging driver update software. No ip1500 driver for W7 links at all. Sure, some mythical ones (a common sales ploy) all leading to ...you guessed it, driver updater sales pitches.

ulr No.2
Canon Pixma driver 14125.zip? Where is the download button for this so called driver? Isn't one (of course) but there sure is a download button to download "Driver Detective"! Did you try to google the driver? I did. Sorry doesn't exist {leads to driver detective). Did You try and do a search for it at the Canon support site? I did and it doesn't exist.

And by the buy, I bought Driver Detective years ago. A great driver "upgrader" but of course it can't upgrade a driver that is not there. It doesn't even recognize that I even have a printer and nor does my pc for that matter (pc's are dumb remember ...basic computing 101). Why is my printer not recognized? Because my printer has no driver for my pc to recognize, nor DD to "upgrade", as my XP driver will not install on W7. Of course a tech guru such as you are presenting yourself, should already know these pc "basics" surely (basic computing 101) ...(?)

Finaly, ulr No, 3 !!!
Oh joy, an actual download! Zipped: Canon aommystva23us. Any guess as to what 'aom' might mean? Did you even think about it before your copy and paste? How about downloading the little Zip to your desktop and seeing if there really is a driver in that sucker? Too much effort? Just copy and paste the ulr. Problem fixed eh?

How about : aom = "ADD-ON MODULE" ??? Guees what was there in that Zip file? A driver for Vista or W7? Nope, just the same old 'add on' module (add to your present driver).

Computing 101. When you don't know something for certain regarding fixing a problem, just say so and please don't send someone on wild goose chases that you have just googled, copy and pasted (any idiot can do that).

Please ignore my ip1500 driver issue and any other issue, because I won't be posting them here for pretend techies to use to boost their primitive egos and forum 'click group' standing. I think I would have more luck solving my driver problem by asking around at the local primary school.

Cheers!

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Tatrah, I figured you were a "Sheila" right away, guess it's just the way the nick sounded to me in my head.

You come off very negative and that may be because you are frustrated so I hope you get it working.

But anyway, I really would suggest you pop off an email to Canon support. You are not the first person to have trouble with Canon's drivers and add-ons, seems they have provided this method for many of their printers on W7 and the messages I see are "wow, it suddenly found the drivers when I rebooted" or "I still can't get it to work". The people with the experience here will be Canon support; and they may know it's a hit & miss thing which could be why they don't actually post W7 on the OS page, even though they do show it on the support page. This is your best hope, and probably your only hope, as you seem intent on trying to alienate people who do not get paid but generally do their best to offer assistance.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just use the Windows XP drivers

Tathra, I've gone through the headache of searching for Windows 7 drivers for my iP1500. Eventually I just installed the Windows XP driver and it seems to work fine. The XP driver (both 32-bit and 64-bit) are available from the Canon web site:

32-bit driver (v1.80): http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0020458.asp
64-bit driver (v1.90): http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0022900.asp

Download, run the .exe to unzip the file. In the folder, run the "setup" or "setup64" application to install. It worked for me; hope it works for you too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi, I dont know if Tathra ever sorted this out, but I came upon this thread because I was also unsure as to how to update the drivers for my ip1500 as I also didn't find them when searching online. Turns out that plugging the printer in and letting the Windows software updater do its thing actually worked, and I now have the driver installed and printer working properly. I am guessing the Add On Modules add functionality, but I haven't tried them yet. It seems like maybe the software updater doesn't work consistently for all users.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Glad you got yours working Owl, and as you said W7 just found the drivers; you didn't need to download anything from Canon. You might still want to check out the add-ins for full functionality.

Reaction score
Ja, will probably do that sometime Train. I dont really use the printer for much else but the basics so I'm in no rush, but the add-ons might be useful

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Thanks for adding the info and welcome to W7forums. And Merry Christmas :santaclaus:

Reaction score
Just an update from someone else with the same problem:

On Windows 7 64-bit:
  • Windows didn't find the driver itself automatically (locally or from the internet).
  • Windows Update didn't find a driver.
  • The printer isn't listed when you manually browse the built-in drivers. Other Pixma printers are (like the ip1300 and ip2000).
  • Restarting with or without the printer plugged in doesn't help/result in finding the driver.
  • None of the files on the canon site for Vista en 7 seems to add support (installed them all, restarted and replugged multiple times). As Tathra inelegantly says, they are for and "add on module" for the driver, which needs the real driver to be there and the "Photoprinter EX" software in multiple versions, which starts whining you haven't installed a printer when you start it after installation (all versions).
What does work: The windows XP (64-bit) drivers linked by "realkato" thanks!

But Owlmerlyn got it working magically!: I think he never told which version of Windows 7 he was using. I know something about writing drivers, and 64-bit drivers are very different from 32-bit drivers, which is why many devices never even did get 64-bit drivers. In many cases a 32-bit windows version automatically finds the right driver while the 64-bit does not, possibly what happened in this case. The other possibility is of course that Canon made some mistake, not really unheard of :)

Reaction score
I just registered to say thank you to realkato, blackdragon and the threadstarter tathra. But then I also registered to say, that I read through all posts, and that the many brats and idiots who posted wrong stuff should really be haven taken away their computers so the world will be spared their time wasting rubbish. And I did this all on a 8kBit connection. And the rubbsih costed me at least 40 minutes. I just hope thatra got help from some better forum than this here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
And just to add it: You might need to run the MyPrinter Add On after the installation. Because during the installation of the driver linked by realkato you probably have to select a connection manually, but at least for me there was no selection "USB". ............... Runnung the "My Printer" software afterwards and selecting Diagnostic and Repair fixed that. .......................... (Currently printing!)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Eventually I just installed the Windows XP driver and it seems to work fine. The XP driver (both 32-bit and 64-bit) are available from the Canon web site:

32-bit driver (v1.80): http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0020458.asp
64-bit driver (v1.90): http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0022900.asp

Download, run the .exe to unzip the file. In the folder, run the "setup" or "setup64" application to install. It worked for me; hope it works for you too.
Great advice - at last my win7.64bit sees the printer :D

BUT....when I try to print ANYTHING - I have no joy. :bawling: - I get the message "A print job in the print queue is preventing other print jobs from printing" - and before you ask - I am only trying to get it to print one page.

Canon's own window says "Collecting printer status."

The printer itself does work ok on my old XP machine - but I'm getting close to throwing it in the nearest river!

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
And just to add it: You might need to run the MyPrinter Add On after the installation. Because during the installation of the driver linked by realkato you probably have to select a connection manually, but at least for me there was no selection "USB". Running the "My Printer" software afterwards and selecting Diagnostic and Repair fixed that. (Currently printing!)
+1 :top: My Windows 7 x64 also couldn't set the print port automatically when I installed the XP driver, plus it told me the driver wasn't digitally signed and would be unavailable... Guess what? It was available, after I ran the MyPrinter Add On, as instructed by printerProducersRThives, and it set the printer port correctly. Thanks! And here's the link to the latest version of the Add On on Canon's site: My Printer Ver. 2.9.5

I also want to thank realkato, blackdragon and the threadstarter tathra. It was a long fight, boys and girls but, thanks to your contributions here, I am now one very happy camper! :beer:

Ask a Question