Doom3

Reaction score
I have recently aquired an Alienware x17 laptop, quad core (2.0 gig), running win 7 ultimate 64 bit. I have been trying to run doom 3 on it and have had it crash a few times, as well as the fact that i can run it only at 640x480 res. it still jerks A LOT when i am faced with an enemy. my understanding was that this machine is a gamer's machine... what is going on here? incidentally playback of movie files is pretty rubbish too, quite jerky. i also get lag when typing in form boxes such as those in FB. clearly there is something wrong here but i do not know how to fix this. any ideas?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi reegus and welcome to W7 Forums

In your post you said
I have recently aquired an Alienware x17 laptop
Is this Laptop new or second hand ?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Agree there Thrax, Ive just found your Alienware Laptop reegus 17" screen so you should be using way above 640x480 and i would suggest checking to see whats there if anything and downloading / installing the latest compatible drivers from the manufactures site, BTW thats a very cool Laptop !

Reaction score
thnx Veedaz. when i s said 640x480 i was refering to doom 3 only. which is what the game recommended. normal usuage is 1920x1200. aside from doom3 i find in general that is just sluggish. typing posts on FB have a lag of 2-3 seconds. to be perfectly honest i am pretty annoyed here as i was expecting the ants pants. my old inspiron 6400 cranks compared to this. i just backed the settings to performance, (ie, looks like a 98 machine now). This is a win 7 ultimate 64b os i am running, i was wondering whether that may be the issue, as i hear there are 32-64 issues, being a new setup.. i have a dual HDD setup, which off the shelf i ordered as a backup? i can't actually find the second HDD in my computer.. is there some menu i can open to mess with everything? i am fairly fluent with xp and can solve most issues there, win 7 is quite a different setup i have found tho. i am interstate atm, maybe when i get home i should just do a re-install and sec as i see fit? any ideas you have related or not will be appreciated as i am keen to learn how to wrangle this new beast, it is a very tidy machine but i feel it is just not quite set up right. is there a way i can post the spec sheet came with this thing? that may help. ie, upload a txt file.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi reegus

When you click reply in the next window of this forum scroll down and click manage attachments then you will see a window where you can upload pictures from your PC >