Do you monitor your folding progress?

Reaction score
A screenshot of my desktop and a closer look at my folding corner. I can watch folding progress, core usage, and temps of my system.
MyDesktop.png FoldingCorner.png

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I just stare at the console window absentmindedly. Oh so exciting.

If you post nice screenshots like that, you better follow them up with some links.

Would that monitoring software work with my 6.29 beta MPICH client?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Thanks for the links, much appreciated!

Do you mean to say that if I have two different machines (literally; I don't mean two clients on the same machine) folding, it can monitor both of them?

Reaction score
Do you mean to say that if I have two different machines (literally; I don't mean two clients on the same machine) folding, it can monitor both of them?
I don't know, I haven't had a chance to try. I do know there is a way to assign an IP for the client during configuration for monitoring. I always figured that was for all the clients that were running in VM, who knows that may also work across a network. I don't think there would be much difference in the way a network communicates vs a VM, if you using an IP assignment. The think I haven't really seen or been looking for is a way to setup the monitor for an IP assigned client.

Good luck and I am definitely curious as to whether that will work or not. :)

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
It's working fine. You just add clients from the menu and use the browse button in the client config to locate the directory where the log file exists on the client machines (of course the folders have to be shared).

Reaction score
That easier than the IP route. I wasn't even thinking about sharing the folder and pointing the monitor to the networked folder. :)

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Thanks for the link for HFM.net, it works like a charm. ^_^

Reaction score
You can monitor multiple computers that aren't networked with HFM, provided each computer has an internet connection and you use a free application called Dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/tour#1
You get 2GB of free file storage initially, with options for more.

To use this with HFM:
  1. Install Dropbox on computer (PC1) to be monitored
  2. Install Dropbox on computer (PC2) that will be monitoring with HFM
  3. On PC1, create a batch file that copies the following files from the F@H client folder to My Dropbox:
    1. FAHlog.txt
    2. unitinfo.txt
    3. queue.dat
  4. Open Task Scheduler on PC1 and create a task that runs the batch file. Set the trigger to whatever you like, but every 15 minutes should keep it mostly up to date with the folding client.
  5. Once the files have been copied to My Dropbox on PC1, wait for it to sync on PC2.
  6. On PC2, add a client in HFM and make My Dropbox the folder to search.
I used this to monitor an older Pentium 4 machine running XP that doesn't recognize my Homegroup.

Reaction score
Thanks Full_Taoer

That is interesting. :)
I'm sure that will come in handy someday.

Have you tried connecting through an older network connection?
Or are you trying to keep Windows 7 strictly Homegroup networking?

Reaction score
I'm just doing the Windows 7 Homegroup networking. It was simple to set up through my router. The XP machine is only used by my wife most of the time. She is a technophobe and only uses it to play a couple of games and keep up with family on Facebook. No file sharing needed, so I just did a quick workaround for the folding.

Ask a Question