Disk Cleanup question? advanced

Reaction score
system error memory dump files are often huge for example 360mb and I use this tool all the time. Somtimes when I clear the files the 360 will still show up. Why is that?

For example right now my machine shows 357mb to be cleared and of that 167mb is for system error memory dump files.

Just redid the disk cleanup and shows 335mb to be cleaned and 167mb system error memory dump files and `167mb debug dump files without doing anything else to the windows 7 ultimate laptop.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Any files that are "in use" cannot be deleted and that is most likely why you consistently have some showing even after you have run Disk Cleanup.

I would recommend you try the freeware CCleaner, as it does a much more thorough cleaning than W7 Disk Cleanup. Find a link for CCleaner in our Freeware DB.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Just a note on top of this, even when you can clean files certain files get re-created anyways, you'll never get rid of every last temp file on your system as they are needed to store and execute data as a temp placeholder for certain information.

Visiting a website will download temp files onto your computer that you won't know about. Even deleting files won't delete them entirely because there's unindexed data that is still available on your system (which eventually gets replaced by any newer data on your system)

Knowing that - this is the one reason for why you can recover "Permanently deleted files" from your computer that don't even exist in your recycle bin, because their data is still "undeleted" on your system. And it's also the reason why people will tell you not to use your computer while your in that recovery process, because that information will get replaced by newer data eventually, making it hard to recover "Deleted" files.

Reaction score
webroot securty esstentials has a very good system cleaner and has options on what you want cleaned.
advanced system cleaner is very good too. its a free version or you can buy it to get more tools.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are you talking about Webroot Window Washer? I see no free version, just a 30 day trial. And reading reviews people complain about it not being 64-bit compatible or it simply not liking W7 at all (that it WAS great before but not in W7). Other complaints that it is bundled with Anti-Virus software they don't want. If you already have an active AV software then you should not allow this AV to also be active in memory as it will slow your computer and the two may conflict.

I can't even find reviews on Advanced System Cleaner except the sites pushing it. From what I can find it is shareware which means you are supposed to pay for it.

I recommend you stick with CCleaner which is free.

Reaction score
webroot is a antivirus, and has very good cleaner, better than norton and mcafee.
advanced system cleaner is a free version and a pay version, i use the free version.
i found reviews for advanced system cleaner under comodo system cleaner.
comodo was good till they upgraded it.
i have what i downloaded to be manuelly started, webroot starts with windows since its my antivirus.

Ask a Question