Delighted to have discovered Windows 7 Forums

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

This is my very first post on Windows 7 Forums, so - hello everyone!

I'm really pleased to have found this forum having been pointed here by someone on another forum.

Not only do I plan to make the switch to Windows 7 soon but I'm almost certainly going to dive into the world of 64 bit computing.

Great to be here!

JPC

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum JPC !

You will enjoy it here, this is a very friendly forum, but more that that, you will gain a lot from it as I myself did.

64 bit is the way to go. I switched to Win 7 64 bit and never looked back.

Good luck.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Welcom jaypeecee! We hope you find your stay here a useful and fruitful experience.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Great to have you here jaypeecee - welcome to the site :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Welcome aboard,
If you are making the leap by upgrading your current system check hear for advice first. Such as downloading and running the windows 7 compatibility wizard to check for possible hardware & software issues, our recommendation to perform a fresh install even though you would buy and use upgrade discs, and deciding which OS version you need ... personally I recommend Professional but if you don't want or need Virtual PC - XP mode then Home Premium may suit you best (others available are starter, ultimate, and enterprise) and I don't know if you have the IE8-less"N" versions in England but if so you want to make sure you get the one appropriate for you.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
jaypeecee, welcome to the forum! I hope that you find a home in our forum, as I did last November. Like you, I made the leap of going 64 bit myself, though at the time of purchase I didn't know that I was getting a 64 bit computer. I only knew that it was new, with Windows 7, and found out that I had 64 bit when it arrived.

But that turned out nicely for me, and I believe that it will for you, too. There have been many debates on 64 vs 32 bit, and vice versa, but in the end, the 64 bit computer is a better one. As a fellow member here once told me, using a 64 bit system is like driving on a four lane highway, and the 32 bit is like a two lane one. It made good since to me, and is a simple way to compare between the two versions.

Throw in 4GB of RAM in each, the difference is immediately seen. The 32 bit cannot even use the full amount of RAM (speed), while the 64 bit one can use it all, if necessary, with ease.

I agree with TrainableMan, Windows 7 Pro is the optimal choice, but paying for it to be installed from the factory (or retail seller) is high. With the Anytime Upgrade, it can be had for $89 (US Dollars). All versions of 7 (even Starter) has all the different features of the OS built in, you simply need a key to unlock them.

I wish you the best of success in your venture, and anytime that you need assistance, always feel free to post. There are many tutorials on the forum, as well as a newly created Free Software Database, where many of very useful, essential software applications can be found. And there's plenty of friendly help here, too.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
The 32 bit cannot even use the full amount of RAM (speed), while the 64 bit one can use it all, if necessary, with ease.
cat the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit has nothing to do with speed as you are suggesting. The difference is the amount of bits (switches if you will) that can be used to store data per clock cycle. The speed at which these switches are accessed is a different topic.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum jaypeecee! This forum is one great one :)

Ah... Cat and TM allready bombarding new users with information... :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Thanks again to everyone for such a welcome!

Just to pick up on a couple of points raised. Firstly, it will not be an upgrade to an existing machine. Rather, this will be a new desktop PC and I was planning to go for Windows 7 Pro (as opposed to Ultimate) because I want to have XP Compatibility Mode.

I'll start firing the questions soon in the appropriate forum.

JPC

Reaction score
Once you start using Windows 7, you're not going to want or need XP mode.

That is, unless you have some really ancient software you still want to run, like a 16 bit app while you are using Windows 7 x64.

Other than that, all your hardware and software should work well in 7.

And of course, ya, welcome! This is a rather excellent forum because of all the great members and staff, if I may say so myself.

Ask a Question