SOLVED Clean install using partitions

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Vista Home Premium laptop and a Windows 7 upgrade disk. I want to clean install 7, but I want to keep hold of my files (I know I'll lose my programs). My laptop came with two partitions on the hard drive, C for the OS and D which I've used for files and backup. My question is this: can I clean install Windows 7 onto C without losing all the files that are on D?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Alex, welcome to the site. Yes, as long as you only chose to format the C: during the clean install process then your D: will remain untouched. :)

Reaction score
Thanks Ian, so is this obvious in the installation, i.e. can I safely use the D as my only backup?

Reaction score
Hi alexw

Here is an article on https://www.w7forums.com/repair-install-t1204.html

I know this is not what you are looking for but it will give you a general idea of what the screens will look like as you install windows for the first time.

Once you reach the screen asking for upgrade or custom. Choose custom and then you will have the option to format C:. Please take your time while you are formating. Its easy to do and easy to follow the instructions. As long as you don't do anything to D: all your files will be safe.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Ian, so is this obvious in the installation, i.e. can I safely use the D as my only backup?
Yep, as Clifford says it's quite obvious during the format stage of the installation process. Just make sure you can remember the size of both partitions, and make sure that you leave the one that matches the size of drive D alone.

Personally, I'd make a 2nd backup of the most important files on to DVD if possible. Just because, if your hard drive ever failed then you've lost your data.

Ask a Question