Clean Install - HP Laptop Programs

Reaction score
Paul Thurrott (Windows 7 Secrets) recommends a clean install on a Vista system. Since I have a HP dv9000 Pavilion Entertainment Laptop Computer, it is capabable of running Windows 7. I have ordered the upgrade version of Windows 7 Professional (since I have Windows Vista Business).

My concern is that with a clean installation, I will lose the installed HP programs that came with the laptop (HP Connect, HP Advisor, etc.). What is the best way of getting those programs. HP technical support was absolutely of no help.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi GaryThornberry - Welcome to w7forums :ciao:

If you do a clean install you will lose all your preinstalled software from HP. A upgrade will be the only way to keep your preinstalled software. Check the chart below to see which Windows 7 version will work for your copy of Windows Vista.

Take a look at https://www.w7forums.com/upgrading-your-pc-windows-7-a-t1444.html

If you have any further questions let us know and we will do our best

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
HP should have provided a software disc with the software available on it. If not you can simply download one from their website.

Once Windows 7 starts officially shipping you should be able to download specific Windows 7 versions of those programs from their website, just find the right model # for your machine: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodTopCategory?product=1842186&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=

One trick, is even if they do not update your laptop's webpage with Windows 7 drivers/software, once they start selling Windows 7 laptops you can find a nearly identical model (or the model that replaces yours) and download the Windows 7 software & drivers from that page.

Reaction score
Thank You!

Clifford & Kougar,

1. I have the correct Windows 7 version ordered from Amazon.com. If you had Vista Business, your upgrade path is Windows 7 Professional. I'm stuck with 32 bit, and I will have to do a double install. The first install is with no Product Key entered.

2. As Kougar understands, my problem is really the HP Installed software that is part of the laptop. A clean install, as Clifford noted, will wipe out that software. Hence, my questions.

3. Maybe, what I should do is make sure my local PC repair person can down load those programs on a CD or DVD (which I will pay for), and then I reload those programs on my new Windows 7 laptop after Windows 7 is installed. That way I have the initial programs, but can do it in the future if my laptop gets slicked by HP when they do extended warranty service (warranty goes through 1/31/2010).

4. What is amazing is how bad HP technical support is. All they would tell me is that loading Windows 7 will void my warranty on their supporting the operating system. That was the extent of their helpfulness (and maybe their knowledge). By the way, they were terrible for support of their own products when Vista came out.

Again, thank you Clifford and Kougar!!!

Gary

Ask a Question