China to crackdown on counterfeit software, movies

Reaction score
China to crackdown on counterfeit software, movies
It seems China's fed up with being known as the world's largest peddler of bootleg merchandise. Hoping to clean up its image, the country has launched an initiative to thwart the rampant sale of phony products. During a State Council meeting, Chinese officials outlined a "campaign to fight intellectual property rights infringement and the manufacture and sale of counterfeit goods."
I couldn't help but laugh at some of the comments following the article.

Reaction score
After they've rid their country of counterfeit software, etc., perhaps they could allow us to return most of the cheap "Made In China" crap that they've pushed on to American consumers over say the past 40+ years or so. Look to your immediate left, now right. I'm sure you just spotted at least two or three things in your home (as in mine) that were made in China.

Last edited:
Reaction score
perhaps they could allow us to return most of the cheap "Made In China" crap that they've pushed on to American consumers over say the past 30 years or so. Look to your immediate left, now right. I'm sure you just spotted at least two or three things in your home (as in mine) that were made in China.
I wonder if those are counterfeit as well? :/

Reaction score
If you count selling "new" computers with used components as counterfeit, then yes.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The Chinese are going to be the next great capitalist nation, if not so already. The 21st Century will be the Chinese one, much as the 20th Century was the American one.

They are very inventive, resourceful and hard working. Don't blame them for everything that is made over there, it is and was the greedy American corporations being very short-sighted for a quick profit sending all the production over there. The American corporations should have invested more in R&D and company infrastructures but they would rather get the quick money and run laughing all the way to the bank... so to speak.

Nearly all of Apple's products come from China, so do the vast majority of PC computer hardware, cases, etc., or from other countries such as Thailand, Singapore and Malaysia.

Remember it was the Japanese and the Germans that made the best stereo equipment back in the late '60s and through the '80s and some products still today because the American stuff was so shoddy and wore out quickly.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
How very true, Nibs! For the first 12 years of my working life, I was employed in three separate textile plants. All three plants closed down, the first in 1986, second in 87, and the third and last for me, in 1993. I was constantly on short time, even while employed.

The thing was, all three companies moved their operations overseas, and many more has followed since.

I was fortunate to run into my future boss while shopping for groceries, I was at the bread aisle, and joked with him about having a "pie job". He asked me if I wanted to really see what a pie job it was. Being unemployed, I jumped onto it, and my (former) career in sales began, in 1993. Three years later, the same man who hired me promoted me to his position, once he advanced. For the next 10 years (13 total), I had plenty of hard, but stable work.

Those kind of jobs can't be "outsourced". But if it were possible, it would be. A bakery in Mexico was considered, but product freshness would be a severe problem.

Today, I'm thankful for the opportunity that I got. Although I'm now unable to work, I got over 10 years in, qualifying me for a lifetime pension, along with my SS disability check. The pension is not a fortune, but it buys the groceries each month.

It is my hope that someone gets in office who has the guts to stand for our country, and do the things to bring many of the lost jobs back here. Nearly all of the products we have now are cheaply produced junk, basically throwaway merchandise. And some of them are counterfeits of the quality goods that comes from the US.

Cat

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Look left to right and I think you'll spot 10 or more made in China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Phillipines...ect. In fact the challenge would be to find made in USA or Canada stamped on very many products.

The thing that really makes me hang my head is when a comapny that is considered "Canadian" and is still based here, has all their products made in other countries and sold here. The big one that yanks my chain is the clothing store Roots. I go in the store and a Roots sweater is like $35 - $55. And I'm thinking, well since the product is made in Canada (HAH) it's more expensive since we have labor laws and minimum wage. Then I look at the tag and it's made in Paraguay or whatever and I just lose it.

It seems every company is outsourcing like this and it just won't stop. Even if the government tried to force them to hire and manufacture here, the head office would just up and leave alltogether, so they'd rather just let them pull this crap than piss them off cuz if they left the retail workers would be out of jobs and it'd look bad on the government.

Whoops, sorry bout the rant...hehe

Ask a Question