Can't disable Clear Type

Reaction score
I've been wrestling with ClearType for too long now, and it had bad enough effect on my eyes.

I forgot to add Please.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cleartype can really be disabled in Word 2007

I have continued using Word 2000 for the past few years since until a few minutes ago and despite spending countless hours searching the Internet and making various changes to MS Windows settings, I had not worked out how to disable Cleartype in Word 2007 for larger fonts (under Windows XP, Vista or 7). However, I have just implemented the 4 changes described by MichaelM, and they appear to have worked. This is the first time that I have seen a website describing these 4 changes, so I would be very interested to know where they come from.

Many thanks,
Paul

Actually I needed only long reading in Word. Nothing helped exept of these keys, just make them in the registry as dword (32 bit) parameters:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options

"NoClearTypeNW" = (1)
"ClearTypeThreshold" = (0)
"FontSmoothingThreshold" = (0)
"BoldFontSmoothingThreshold" = (0)

Reaction score
This works in Word 2007 but what are the corresponding entries for Word 2010, since the registry tree is not the same under version "14.0" (instead of "12.0")?

Reaction score
It's that messed up

For Office 2007 on Windows 7, the only way that worked for me is to run ClearType tuner "turn cleartype on", then run it again "turn cleartype off". Then in Computer's advanced properties, Performance, turn off font smoothing.

Ask a Question