SOLVED BSOD - W7-64bit - ntkernel or something.

Reaction score
Mate,

Removing CCC:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx

During the install Choose Custom and then untick CCC.

Please post those crash dumps.

Hops this help
I haven't done anything since my last post....and I've not gotten a single BSOD. I've not let my computer reboot, have not let it gone to sleep, nothing. Have kept it running continuously since the last post. No BSOD.

I'm still running stock Microsoft ATI drivers....

At this point, I'm pretty certain it's the shitty AMD drivers. Lol.

I'm going to keep letting it run for a week to see how long it'll stay up before BSOD-ing, or if the BSOD even comes.

Shintaro

Reaction score
LOL possibly, but more likely it is CCC. It is known to cause BSOD's.

If your happy with that then, that's fine.

If you think it is solved, then please mark the thread as solved after a time that you are happy with.

Reaction score
LOL possibly, but more likely it is CCC. It is known to cause BSOD's.

If your happy with that then, that's fine.

If you think it is solved, then please mark the thread as solved after a time that you are happy with.
Shintaro,

I'm honestly not too satisfied with it as right now I'm using my GPU at probably 40% of what it is capable of doing.

I saw your link on how to "fully uninstall" all AMD related software. The problem is, if I read it right, it is also going to uninstall ANY AMD driver/chipset related files.

I am using an AMD Sata AHCI driver....if I use your suggested route, will it get rid of my AMD Sata drivers as well? Without the AMD Sata drivers, my SSDs will come to a screeching halt in terms of speed. Lol.

This is my only reservations about completely getting rid of Catalyst based on the method you're suggesting.

Stupid AMD and their linking everything together into one freaking installer package !!!

Shintaro

Reaction score
You could download the latest video driver and see if there is a uninstall option before installing the new driver.

Reaction score
You could download the latest video driver and see if there is a uninstall option before installing the new driver.
An update.

Since my last post....I've been running Microsoft's stock WWDM drivers and then shifted to MS's ATI drivers that they recommended via Windows Update.

My computer did not turn off the entire period and I had no BSODs whatsoever and I used my computer as usual.

Today, I installed JUST the 12.6 video drivers by manually pointing to it in Device Manager.

I will let this run and keep my computer running for another 5 days to see if I get any BSOD. If I don't get any BSODs...it's probably safe to say that it's not the video drivers.

From the looks of it however, I think you were right Shintaro when you said that it was the pesky Catalyst Manager that was causing the BSOD.

Shintaro

Reaction score
There seems to be problems with CCC (Catalyst Control Center). But apparently the gamers need it for changing screen resolution and frame rate?

The important thing is that you computer is running and not crashing.

Reaction score
There seems to be problems with CCC (Catalyst Control Center). But apparently the gamers need it for changing screen resolution and frame rate?

The important thing is that you computer is running and not crashing.
For my use, I never needed it except to fix the under/overscan issue on my monitor. I have now found out how to do that even without the CCC. It's a registry fix.

So essentially, from now on, I am just going to install the driver and exclude the rest from AMD since they can't even program something simple like the CCC.

Lol.

Still no BSOD on the latest 12.6 driver.....will post back in 5 days.

Reaction score
Well lets hope all goes well.
Back.

So now my computer has been running without turning it off for QUITE some time now. Lol. Running 90% of the time over the past 6 days with no BSOD.

I will consider this issue solved. =) Do not use the stupid CCC that is provided by AMD. Just use the registry for any overscan issues that may arise (e.g., black borders around the image for those connecting to a TV without CCC).

Thanks Shintaro, you've been a great help. I can now leave my work in peace without fear that it'll BSOD on me.

Ask a Question