Bsod at startup - driver or Bios or Win7 reinstall?

Reaction score
Let's see what happened:

Soundcard removal - NO Bsod!
Soundcard drivers removal (not to have conflict with Realtek) - NO Bsod!
Turned on the Driver Verifier - NO restart or freeze!

OK, I don' want to speak too soon, but 2 boot/restarts without a bsod successively were a long time ago. I hope I found the cause. Now it seems to me the SoundBlaster 5.1 VX, but would be good to know that:
- this type is not compatible
- this piece is wrong, maybe faulty
- (slot is wrong on the mainboard, I don't think so)
- or maybe SB driver? (otherwise - Creative Wavestudio still on the programs list, I cannot remove like the other driver files of Creative)

It's a pity that the sound was better then.
So thank you very much so far for the help, I am waiting now...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Most likely drivers rather than hardware. Drivers cause most BSODs.

Have you ever used that card in another machine or with another OS? If yes then I doubt the card is defective.

Reaction score
That's why I would be surprised if card is the reason.

I used the card for about 2 months on XP this PC. After that moved the PC to another place, and bsod-s came. And already once, few weeks ago I removed both card and its driver, but then maybe the other problem was still active - bad RAM module (that one solved).
So if it's driver problem - this card no more supported for Win7. Maybe a driver, not the latest would help, but how could I know which one? I had too long experiments with this to try drivers again. :confused:

A question: 36 hours check for Driver verifier means I should leave the PC switched on for this period (and do nothing with it)?

Shintaro

Reaction score
Honestly, you would be better off on XP. I have a Dell 505 and it can run Win 7, but it runs a lot better with XP.

So my suggestion is to save your data and re-install XP.

Driver Verifier will stay on unless you turn it off. You just use your computer as normal. So when your finished using your computer for the day shut it down.

Reaction score
I was happy too early...
Bsod again (when driver verifier deleted)
Restart/freeze (when it is turned on)
:eek:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Then please enable driver verifier and upload the crash dump files.

Reaction score
Ok. here it is:
There is only 1 dump file since I removed the soundcard.

(But now driver verifier is disabled! When it is turned on, NO BSOD - NO DMP file, just automatic restart first, after that freeze during "starting win" screen!)

Attachments

Reaction score
BSOD continued so I upload the latest ones in case they would tell something new.
It seems to me that a driver is the problem.(?)
Last step if nothing else remained: go back to WinXP for me.
Thank you

Attachments

Reaction score
Please help me!

No desktop at the moment - no icons, tray or start menu, no right click just blank light blue screen.
I tried to switch on explorer.exe but no result. I made chkdsk and sfc/scan but remained the same.
I am just browsing by adding new task of task manager.
So I decided to go back to WinXP from Windows 7 but how should I do (I think backgrade is not allowed)?
Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I think you need to make a decision. If you can go back to XP then you should because that machine is not powerful enough to be running w7 well.

I'm not sure what happened to Shintaro, the BSOD expert, sometimes he gets busy and doesn't visit for a while, did you try emailing him a private msg?

When I look at the dumps the latest one blames AVAST (aswSnx.SYS) but most blame different stuff. You can try uninstalling AVAST with their avast removal tool and see if it helps but you have so much going on on such a little machine that I think you are wasting time trying to squeeze W7 out of it.

Ask a Question