Before Moving Google Workspace Data, Is a Full Backup Really Necessary?

Joined
Jun 26, 2025
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
I’m planning a cloud migration where Google Workspace data needs to be moved to Microsoft 365, and I’m trying to decide how much preparation is actually necessary before starting. It’s tempting to begin the migration directly, especially when there are many user accounts, but I think having a separate backup could make things much safer if something goes wrong.

The challenge is that Workspace data is not limited to Gmail. Depending on the organization, there could be years of emails and attachments, contacts, calendars, tasks, Google Drive files, Shared Drives, and Chat conversations. Losing even a small portion of that data during a migration could create problems later, particularly if the original accounts are going to be deactivated.

I’ve been exploring different ways to migrate Google Workspace to Office 365 while keeping a separate copy of important source data. Ideally, the backup and migration process should allow administrators to select specific accounts or date ranges instead of processing everything blindly. This would also make it easier to run a pilot migration before moving the entire organization.

Another thing I would want to avoid is duplicate data when a migration has to be resumed. If hundreds of mailboxes are involved, restarting everything from the beginning after an interruption would waste considerable time. A resume or skip-previously-migrated option seems much more practical.

I found the SysInfo Google Workspace Backup Tool while looking at possible approaches. It supports backup to formats such as PST, MBOX, PDF, and CSV, as well as direct migration to Microsoft 365. The product also mentions batch mapping, date filtering, duplicate handling, and resume migration, which could be useful for a large project.

From a security perspective, I’d also want to understand where the data and credentials are processed. The product information says the backup and migration jobs run locally and use Google and Microsoft APIs, without storing credentials on third-party servers.

My plan would be to test a small group first, compare the migrated data with the source accounts, and then move forward in batches.

For other admins, do you normally create a complete backup before a major Workspace migration, or do you rely on the migration itself as the only copy? I’d be interested to know what approach has worked best in real projects.
 
Top